DDR or RDRAM?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nothingface

Which faster and better overall? Planning to build new pc..not sure if DDR or RDRAM. Bestbuy says DDR. Tis true?

Kinda depends on your mobo & cpu.
If your running a P4 on a board that supports RDram (Rambus) it's real fast. When everything clicks together on that kind of rig it "smokes". However it's expensive & sometimes iffy quality.
If it's an AMD go with DDR. It works great & it's cheap.

If you are using a Pentium 4, then RDRAM completely outperforms DDR. It is THE fastest memory solution for the Pentium 4 to date.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
RDRAM is also the most expensive solution, way beyond it's incremental improvement in overall performance. :rolleyes: If you assume a 90% cache hit rate (low by almost any standard), you only have a small amount of the overall performance to improve with faster RAM. While RDRAM is indeed faster, the actual throughput increase will be more more than a few percent at best. Personally, I'd put my money in a more effective place.

I would agree with johnwill.
Get plenty of DDR & use the savings for a better video card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online