1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DDR RAM advice please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tullyhubbert, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert Thread Starter

Hi all

Need some help before I make a bigger fool of myself than I perhaps already have!

I recently "gave" my 512Mb of PC3200 DDR RAM to a friend whos PC was chugging along on 128Mb. It transformed it and I purchased 1Gb of RAM on ebay to replace it. Problem is it arrived today but won't work in my PC (MoBo is Asus AV7600-X which according to my manual takes up to 3Gb of 184 pin DIMM PC3200 DDR RAM) I tried it in two other PC's, again its not working. Two of them refuse to boot and are silent, the other whirrs and beeps every couple of seconds but doesn't boot.

Mobo: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=13&l3=61&model=225&modelmenu=2

On closer inspection of the auction description it says.
    "1GB PC3200 400Mhz 128x64 Hi-density DDR 2.5v, this is a 184 pin SIMM module, which is single sided (chips on one side). Please check your motherboard will accept these modules before bidding"

Now I just assumed it was in fact a DIMM. As far as I know SIMMS only come in 36 and 72 pin configuration and not in 184 pin. What have I bought, am I an idiot or is it reality a DIMM which doesn't work? Answers as quickly as possible please because I need to get back to the seller if it is indeed just faulty. I've put a link to the auction below so you can see for yourself. :confused:

http://bounceurl.com/vryyy0t

Ebay item number if the link doesn't work is: 110089594461

TIA ... John

2. bonk

bonk Banned

I'm sure somebody will let you know about the Memory but for me I would never buy used Ram for any reason......

3. tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply bonk, why would you be seen keen to avoid used memory? Surely is one of the less complicated, no moving parts, works or does'nt item. Though atm I'd rather have avoided it :(

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Used Ram is just what it says...used

Ram is a very important part of a PC and affects all running processes I always buy well known makes and new.......it may cost a bit more but when you consider the problems that can arise with faulty or semi faulty Ram then really you have saved time and hassle.

Faulty Ram can still work but give another problems and can also stop working as well when it gets warm.

For me I think you have the wrong Ram there for your PC.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

According to crucial's site, your board accepts 128X64 memory.
    Either one of three things happened.

1 You damaged the memory when you installed it.

2 Memory was damaged when you purchased it.

3 Memory is just not compatible with your board. Just because it is of the same config really means nothing. There is more to compatibility than just the physical configuration.

If you want compatible memory, go to crucial, kingston, or corsair's site and input your motherboard model. It will list memory that will work in your board.

BTW I agree; never buy memory from ebay.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice