1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DDR ram makes system hang

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elbonio, May 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elbonio

Elbonio Thread Starter

I have an Asus Mobo capable of holding both DDR and SDRAM (not simultaneously)

It runs fine with SDram but when i put DDR ram in the system frequently hangs after around 10 - 20 mins.

I have...

Athlon XP 1.7GHz
    256MB DDR RAM
    40GB HD
    Asus Geforce 3 v8200 64MB DDR AGP

My system is kept cool so its not an overheating problem...

i need help! any suggestions welcome!

2. markshark09

markshark09

are you completely sure it takes ddr mem. If so tell me what you have like 2x128 or 1x256 4x64, you get the picture.

3. Elbonio

Elbonio Thread Starter

4. markshark09

markshark09

ok, the only thing i think could be wrong is the memory is bad. i think you might have recieved a lemon. try returning it for a new one

5. markshark09

markshark09

wait..... before you go return that memory.... check your motherboard manual or on your motherboard itself for jumpers that switch which memory banks it uses. according to the pic on the link you gave me i see 2 mem banks for ddr and 4 for sdram. there is probably a jumper that switches between the 2 memory banks...

WARNING!!!!
    DON'T TOUCH ANY JUMPERS UNLESS YOU ARE SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!

6. Elbonio

Elbonio Thread Starter

unfortunately it's a jumperless board

lol but nice try!

wouldnt the computer simply not come on if that was the case?

the computer comes on and everything but after a bit freezes... and only does so with the DDR

another interesting thing: it freezes when i try to open the "system information" tool in windows XP... thats the only way i know of making it crash on demand....

any ideas?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/80685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice