1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DDR SDRAM -single or double sided?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ubamous3, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

i hate it when itime to shop for memory so frigging confusing

i have bought 3 kingston 512MB PC2700 valueram DDR's before (after extended search) and exchange, they have been working fine; so i thgouth DDR just means it's double sided vs SDRAM which is just single sided

so i bought 2 extra sticks from circuity city 512MB PC2700 DDR (even same model as the one i currently have), and when it's time to open it later , i find it's only singled sided!!!!

i see another ad on circuit city this week for $95 less $35 rebate =$60 per 512MB PC2700 DDR kingston KVR333512R, but i now not sure if it's the single sided kind of double; i have gooded and found a bunch of sites including kingston, but kingstons site doesnt seem to have that model, and other etailers selling that model doesnt say double or single sided; they jsut show a picture of 1 side of the RaM which doesnt help me much

can someone please shed some light on this; i'd really appreciate it

thakns

2. jakesp

jakesp

Hi

DDR = double data rate. It's not connected to whether a stick is single or double sided as far as I'm aware. Until recently, I had a PC2700 DDR 256mb single sided and a PC2700 DDR 512mb double sided stick running in my PC together.

As long as buy the correct spec of RAM (PC2700/PC3000 etc) for your mobo, it should work regardless of whether it's single or double sided.

3. Xeper

Xeper

Also investigate if you mobo supports a mix of dual sided and single sided ram. I know for a fact that my K8V-d DOES make a diffrence between the two.

4. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

i just did a search and found this article;

http://www.guru3d.com/article/processor/61/3/

If you are going to buy a Pentium 4 C class CPU then you should make sure you can run Dual Channel memory with your memory modules (prefereable at 400 MHz). So how do you check this with your current modules ?

This is a good one to remember .. two sticks of 256MB rated DDR400 will outperform one stick of 512MB DDR400). In short, these are the requirements for using dual-channel DDR:

Both sticks of memory must be the same size.
    Both sticks of memory must have the same type of memory chips.
    Both sticks of memory must have the same speed/latency.
    Single-sided and double-sided memory sticks can not be mixed
    ------------
    since the computer that i want to use the 512 DDR on is a P4 (it has 3 slots and expandable up to 3 gig), that means the single sided stick wont work then

but i dont know whether that article implies other types of processor or not b/c i know one of my computers (p3) has 1 single 128 pc133 and 1 double sided 256 pc100 sticks together n i know that setup works on that pc

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, a single stick will indeed work. You only need to sticks of Dual Channel - which is not the same as DDR.

Your system might not even be capable of Dual Channel - you will need to reference your motherboard manual to check on this.

Single sided vs double sided is pretty much irrevelent with a Pentium 3, 4and AthlonXP system.

The above rules also do not have to be followed for Dual channel to work - it does work best if the chips are a 100% match but its not an absolute requirement.

Here's some reading: http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&star...on.com/newtech/MKF_520DDRwhitepaper.pdf&e=912

6. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

thanks u guys for clarifying that; i do have 1 athlon xp and 2 pentium 4 and they all use the pc2700 ddr ram; the athlon can go up to 2 gig and 1 of the p4 has 3 slots and can go up to 3 gig; i havent yet seen 1 gig sticks advertised on sale much but it will be a while until i actually need it , i hthink :)

7. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

also, so does the term dual channel = double sided?
    i took a look at the specs of the 512 DDR kingston that's on sale right now and this is what they say; i dont think i saw any mention of dual channel or double sided on there :( i dont understand why they dont standardize things to make it easier for the consumers b/c that means less returns to the store and consequently back to the manufacturers

DESCRIPTION:
    This document describes ValueRAM's 64M x 64-bit (512MB) DDR333 CL2.5 SDRAM
    (Synchronous DRAM) memory module. The components on this module include sixteen
    32M x 8-bit (8M x 8-bit x 4 Bank) DDR333 SDRAM in TSOP packages. This 184-pin DIMM uses gold contact fingers and requires +2.5V. The electrical and mechanical specifications are as follows:
    FEATURES:
    Clock Cycle Time (tCK) 6ns (min.) / 12ns (max.)
    Row Cycle Time (tRC) 60ns (min.)
    Refresh Row Cycle Time (tRFC) 72ns (min.)
    Row Active Time (tRAS) 42ns (min.) / 70,000ns (max.)
    Single Power Supply of +2.5V (+/- .2V)
    Power (IDD0) 2.900 W (operating)
    UL Rating 94 V - 0
    Document No. VALUERAM0322-001.A00 02/02/04
    Figure 1: KVR333/512R 184-Pin DIMM
    KVR333/512R
    512MB 64M x 64-Bit DDR333
    CL2.5 184-Pin DIMM

Note: The module defined in this data sheet is one of several configurations available under this part number. While all configurations are compatible, the DRAM combination and/or the module height may vary from what is described here. However, in no configuration will the module height exceed 1.250" (31.75mm).
    1.200 (30.48)

8. jakesp

jakesp

No, double sided and dual channel are different things. Dual channel (which allows your ram to work faster) is supported by some motherboards and is activated when you install two matching sticks into the relevant dimm slots. As such, there isn't really anything called 'dual channel ram' - it's just a method of running normal ram.

Hope that makes sense! :)

9. Xeper

Xeper

The answer to the meaning of life

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice