1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ddr Trouble. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IIVIIRRIIVII, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IIVIIRRIIVII

IIVIIRRIIVII Thread Starter

Hey, i just finished putting together my gf's pc. It works fine if i use the sdram slots, but if i throw in the ddr ram i bought for it i just get one post beep. Any idea's? Somone told me to mess with the voltage in the bios but i don't know where to begin.
    Her pc's specs are:

AMD Athalon 1700+
    Shuttle AK32A v2.1
    2x256 Infineon pc2100 ddr 133mhz ecc (for some reason the ram says both sdram and ddr on the label)

2. Rockn

Rockn

Are they 184 pin SDRAM or 168 pin? If they are 184 they will only work in the DDR slots and if they are 168 they will only work in the SDRAM slots.

3. IIVIIRRIIVII

oddly enough it doesnt say on the stick. However, they are 184 pin because they fit in the ddr slot exactly and will not fit in the sdram slot. Also, i am not putting in both types of sticks at the same time.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can't mix PC100/133 and DDR RAM, you use one or the other.

5. Rockn

Rockn

According to the manual they have to be 2.5V if they are indeed DDR SDRAM. It seems they are incompatible with the motherboard.

6. IIVIIRRIIVII

7. Rockn

Rockn

Well I would never buy something like memory from Ebay and I do not believe your motherbord supports ECC (Error Correction Code) memory either.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't think that ECC memory is an issue, if the MB doesn't support parity, it just ignores the extra data lines, it has no effect on operation. OTOH, I know of very few chipsets that don't support ECC nowadays, I have ECC in VIA, Intel, and SiS chipset systems here.

BTW Rockn, you're 100% correct about buying memory on eBay, I think that's a risky adventure. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice