1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DDR2-533 and DDR2-800 which slots to use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Likeatalltree, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Likeatalltree

Likeatalltree Thread Starter

I have had a DDR2-533 512mb stick for a while and its been using up the first slot for quite a while. I just got 2 DDR2-800 1gb sticks for a gift and was wondering if i should rearrange them in the slots or what? I have 4 slots, 2 orange and 2 green. Any help would be great.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It depends on the motherboard. But you might be able to use Dual Channel to increase your memory bandwidth by using one slot from each channel. On some boards you use the slots of the same color, on others you use slots of a different color to achieve dual channel. What board do you have?

Because you have 1 x 512MB stick and 1 x 1GB stick you might not be able to achieve dual channel, but many new boards do allow you to mix memory of different sizes and still run dual channel.

3. Likeatalltree

I have an abit KN9 Ultra Mobo and i have 1 x 512MB and 2 x 1GB.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In that case you could pull out the 512MB altogether and run just the 2 x 1GB sticks.

The reason being that running three unmatched pairs rarely results in dual channel mode and it wouldn't be efficient if it did. Additionally the 533Mhz memory is going to slow down the 800Mhz memory down to 533Mhz. By removing the 533hz/512MB memory you will be increasing the speed to 800Mhz plus getting the full benefit of dual channel to double the memory from 6.4GB/s to 12.8GB/s. Running 533Mhz in single channel mode will only yield 4.2GB/s of bandwidth and 8.4GB/s in dual channel if it was a matched pair.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    According to the manual the board seems to only support 2 or 4 sticks in dual channel, install one stick into DIMM1 and the second into DIMM2.

6. Likeatalltree

So should i put the 2 x 1gb sticks in the same color slot or one in each?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    DIMM1 and DIMM2 are the same color.

If you have the manual, its page 2-11.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice