1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DDR2 and DDR2 Dual channel ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sonicaftermath, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sonicaftermath

sonicaftermath Thread Starter

are they interchangeable?

if my board has DDR2, can i use the ddr2 dual channel?

2. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

If the board you're using supports it but to be honest if it's ddr2 then i can pretty much garauntee it will. If your board has 4 slots then put the first stick in slot 1 and second stick in slot 3. You need two matched sticks to enable dual channel. Max

3. Jones

Jones

I 'believe' that DDR2 dual-channel memory is backwards compatible with regular DDR2 slots, but I don't know 100% for sure.

Can you post the make and model of your motherboard? That info will answer the question with a definite answer.

4. sonicaftermath

sonicaftermath Thread Starter

Abit AN52V

5. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

Put one stick in the first green slot (nearest cpu) and one in the fist orange slot to enable dual channel. Remember they MUST be matched sticks. Max

6. Jones

Jones

According to ABIT's website, that board supports Dual-Channel DDR2 memory up to 800mhz. This means that you don't 'need' Dual-channel memory to use the board. Regular DDR2 mem will work, but you won't be taking advantage of Dual-channel technology unless all the memory sticks in your board are certified Dual-channel.

One last note: It's a bad idea to mix-and-match different RAM. Always try to stick with the same brand, type, speed, and size of memory sticks.

7. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

Dual channel is dictated by the board NOT the memory so like jones said as long as the mem is matched and the sticks are placed as i explained dual channel will be enabled. Mix matching is deffinitley not a good idea if you want dual channel or not. Max.

8. PCpraiser100

PCpraiser100

I have made the switch by risking it all for you guys! I've even put it on my Dell! It will work, I can guarantee it! Oh, and, do you have 60 bucks? Just kidding!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/694258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice