1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DDR2 RAM Purchasing Decision

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dryworm, Mar 7, 2007.

?

Which one is it gonna be?

1. OCZ Platinum Rev. 2

100.0%
  2. BUFFALO Firestix

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dryworm

dryworm Thread Starter

I'm building a new rig, and I'm wondering which one of these I should purchase:

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-15 Dual Channel Kit Retail
    Manufacture Part# OCZ2P800R22GK
    at a price of $171 AR($25)

OR

BUFFALO Firestix 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Retail
    Manufacture Model FSX800D2C-K2G
    at a price of $195

Prices include shipping and taxes, so no worries about that.

Also, please let me know if you found similar deals for cheaper.

So please choose between the two based on reviews, experience, and the sort.

I thank you beforehand,

a comrade

2. Sponsor

3. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

4. dryworm

dryworm Thread Starter

Oh, thanks, but you see, I do care about price, and I don't have a motherboard yet.

Thank you though!

5. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

Well I would say you are Putting the Roof on before you have built the Walls...if you know what I am getting at...

I always choose the MB "FIRST" and go from there.

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

To add to Sherry22160's point: If you buy RAM, you've severely limited your motherboard choices. DDR2 800 motherboards are EXTREMELY picky with RAM. Don't buy RAM until you know which motherboard you will be getting. Your RAM choices will then be listed for you on the motherboard manufacturer's website. Don't be another victim of not doing the homework before buying and spending hours troubleshooting--only to find that you have 1.8v instead of 2.2v RAM and your board won't support it. It's a frustrating place to be.

I don't know where you saw those prices, but be sure you're looking at newegg.com.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549764