1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ddr2 ram queston

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drmccubx, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drmccubx

drmccubx Thread Starter

Hey every one,
    well i am new here and am using a older but functioning system and wanted to install more/new ram to help my system run quicker. My system uses a Maximus Formula motherboard by Asus. i have the Q9650 quad core extreme processor in it . Currently i have 4 gigs of ram in the system but as the years go buy it runs slower and slower despite cleaning the junk out of it with various software. I went ahead and purchased 8 gigs worth, 4 sticks of ddr 2 ram from corsair. the ram i bought says on the ram 800mhz 2048mb 5-5-5-18 1.80V . The DDR2 ram in the computer currently is 2 sticks of 2048 mbytes PC2-6400 (400 mhz) kingston 2G-UDIMM . So i shut down my computer , unplugged it , complete power off . then open up the side of the pc . take out the 2 sticks of ram. install the new 4 sticks of ram and put the computer back together . power it up and it turns of but the moniter say no signal . I cant get it to display anything. on the motherboard there are 2 switches . one looks like a power symbol and the other says "reset" . i hit the reset button "when the computer was open"and you could see he lights on the motherboard go off and on. indicating , "i suppose' that it reset ? still no moniter . You see , wanted to upgrade without investing in a new pc . So , any advise on what ram to buy ? can i use the ram i bought ? I am running 32 bit vista if that helps . Any advise is welcome , especially if it helps me solve this. other wise , have to keep the pc as is untill it dies. thanks drmccubx

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Vista 32 bit can only use 4GB of Ram max. Try putting the old Ram back in and see if the display works again.

EDIT : or just leave 2 of the new Ram sticks in, I think they should be in the blue sockets.

3. marbski

marbski

it could be ram issue... please make sure all ram is compatible with the Motherboard...

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the ASUS Maximus Formula motherboard.

It has 4 color-coded memory slots and supports a maximum of 8 GB(2 GB X 4) of RAM.

It uses 240-pin DDR2 PC2-6400(DDR2-800), 1.8 volts, unbuffered, non-ECC modules.

You appear to have purchased Corsair 2 GB modules with these specifications.

They should work okay in that motherboard, so it's possible that they're not all fully seated or there's some other unknown issue.

Windows Vista 32-bit is going to recognize and use only 3.25 - 3.50 GB of RAM, so it's useless to install more than 4 GB of RAM.

If you want to use 8 GB of RAM, you need to install a 64-bit version of Windows.

Computers can accumulate a lot of "debris" over time that slows it down.

When all else fails, a clean reinstall of Windows and a fresh start will breathe new life into it.

--------------------------------------------------------

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

see Post #2

6. drmccubx

drmccubx Thread Starter

I may install windows 7 on it . but i would like it to run quicker. I am not sure how to increase the ram voltage though . any help explaining the bios . it doesnt exactly say . ram voltage 1.65 and it does not give an option of plugging in 1.80

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Just increasing RAM voltage will not make it run faster.
    The only reason to increase RAM voltage is so that you might be able to increase the frequency that the RAM is driven at. But even so the increase will be tiny and the risk of damaging the RAM increases very quickly.
    Try reading Phil Croucher's BIOS Companion

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1136312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice