1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DDR2 timings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alcyon, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alcyon

Alcyon Thread Starter

Two DDR2 sticks:
    OCZ PC2-4200 Enhanced Bandwidth labeled for 3-2-2-8
    PDP Patriot PDC22G4200+ chips labeled for 3-2-2-4

Both chips are marketed to run at DDR2-533, but obviously can be overclocked. My question is which chip would be better? When clocked for DDR2-667, does it increase the bandwidth for the chip from the DDR2-533 rating of 4.2GB/s? Would it be better to just go with a DD2-667 'labeled' stick like the OCZ w/ 4-4-4-8 and bandwidth of 5.4GB/s??

Hopefully someone here knows something about overclocking or maybe could make an educated conclusion by these reviews:
    OCZ PC2-4200 EB
    PDP PC2-4200 Patriot

Is it possible to just use similar tests from each review like the Sandra 2004 Standard Buffered Memory Test at 667 speeds??

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you want to run memory at 667Mhz then buy PC5300 ram. Overclocking results are not a science and you may not be able to get results close to those reviews. On the otherhand the reviews you posted are good and provide pretty information if you wish to go that route.

3. Alcyon

Alcyon Thread Starter

OK, it looks like you might be an AMD man, but if it were you... what would you do? Buy the PC5400 with 4-4-4-8, or chose to overclock a slower card? The OCZ easily hits PC5400 at 4-2-2-8, while the PDP does it at 4-3-3-12.

haha, I think I just answered my question in that last sentence. The OCZ has better timings at DDR667 than the PDP chip does.
    But the PDP costs at least $70 cheaper per 512MB. Worth it?

4. Alcyon

Alcyon Thread Starter

by the way, is that a Barton you have? and how'd you get it up to 2.3??
    I have the same mobo/cpu. . .

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I bumped the FSB to 212Mhz and stuck a Thermaltake SilentBoots on it and voila. I'm also using P3200 RAM. Bumping up the CPU and RAM voltages can help if the system is unstable. With the latest BIOS I found this unnecessary but its the luck of the draw.

6. Alcyon

Alcyon Thread Starter

so what's your take on the 3rd post in this thread?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Worth it? No! You could buy a complete PC for the price of a set of those. Its new and pretty much not required technology at this point in time, in my opinion the performance does not justify the cost.

To answer your question:
    Go with the OCZ, its a better brand and seems to work better.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!