1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DDR3 Memory, Voltage/Bus speed compatiblity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ValkyrieSkirt, Sep 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ValkyrieSkirt

ValkyrieSkirt Thread Starter

I want to upgrade the ram on my laptop. My processor is Intel Core i3-2370M and supports DDR3 memory at 1333 Mhz. The pre-installed memory is running at 1.5v. The problem is, I'm having trouble finding the exact memory for my laptop. The closest I can find is Kingston 4 GB, 1600 Mhz, 1.35v. Is this bus speed and voltage compatible with my processor/motherboard? Will it run without any problems on my laptop?

Also what are the disadvantages of mixing memory sticks other than not being able to run in dual channel mode? I don't care about dual channel but would like to know if there are any other disadvantages.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    We can help you better if you advise us what the brand name and model name and model number of your laptop is.

All we know at this point is that it has an Intel Core i3-2370M processor and an unknown amount of DDR3 RAM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

3. ValkyrieSkirt

My laptop is an Hp 1000 series notebook. Exact model is Hp 1000-1140tu. The pre-installed ram is 2GB running at 1333 Mhz.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    HP 1000-1140TU Notebook PC(C8C94PA)

You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

According to its product specifications section, it came with Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit and came with 2 GB of DDR3 PC3-10600(1333 MHz) RAM.

It supports up to 8 GB of RAM, so that means you can add a 2 GB or 4 GB module to both slots, depending on whether you want to increase it from its current 2 GB to 4 GB or to 8 GB.

It uses 204-pin, 1.5 volt, SODIMM modules.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. ValkyrieSkirt

I already knew all of this. What I was trying to ask was: Can I install a 4GB, 1.35v, 1600 Mhz module in this laptop while keeping the preinstalled one?

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If your laptop currently has a 1.5 volt, 2 GB, DDR3-1333 MHz module, you can add another module to it that has the same capacity and voltage and speed.

Laptops tend to be more finicky than desktops about mixing capacities and voltage and speeds, so I wouldn't do it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. ValkyrieSkirt

I don't really have a lot of options since I can't find a module with the same capacity, voltage and speed. Also I'm on a very tight budget so my only option is the above mentioned module. Should I get the new module or try to make do with just the preinstalled one? (running 64 bit windows on 2 GB is a pain)

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I don't know where you live and why you can't find a 4 GB module with the same specs as the current 2 GB module.

If you don't have any choice but to buy a 1.35 volt, 4 GB, DDR3-160o MHz module, hopefully it'll work.

Once it arrives, remove the current 2 GB module and install it by itself and see if it works.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

9. ValkyrieSkirt

Most online retailers don't ship to my country (Pakistan) and when they do the shipping cost is prohibitively expensive so my only option is to go hunting at local shops. I will search some more and hopefully I'll be able find the module I need. Otherwise I'll get the 1.35v module and report back.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Good luck. Keep us posted.

------------------------------------

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1155514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice