1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DDR3 RAM Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trumanhmason, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trumanhmason

trumanhmason Thread Starter

I just purchased a Acer Aspire Desktop Computer but it only comes with 2 sticks of DDR3 2Gb Ram memory and I need 8Gb of DDR3 Ram. It does not have to slots to add more memory but I was told that all I have to do is purchase 2 sticks of 4Gb and replace the 2 sticks of 2Gb DDR3 Ram. Does anyone know where I might buy these online that will not kill my budget? Thanks

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Newegg has worked for me among others......

Here

3. jontro

jontro

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Usually, 4Gb raqm is more than enough for most programs. Also if you want to install more than 4 Gb ram you will need a 64bit OS. Lastly, or perhaps firstly, you need to ensure your motherboard will support more than 4Gb ram. Frequently, Big Box systems will not support more than 4Gb ram.

5. trumanhmason

trumanhmason Thread Starter

My O/S is as follows:

Model: Acer Aspire X1420

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) IIx4 645 Processor 3.10

System type: 64 bit

This should be ok and the store said I can install 2 4Gb sticks but then they said they don't sell them. Can they be installed really?

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  7. raybro

raybro

Here is an alternative for you. Go to the Crucial web site, click the System Scanner tab, then the Scan My Computer button. The scan will tell you not only what you have installed, but also the maximum RAM your system will accept.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When I check the specs on that system, it shows it shipped with either win7 32bit or win7 64bit. Before buying anything, make sure of which version you have. Go to control panel>system and security>system. Post a screenshot. Note it will look like the pic below.

Attached Files:

• cp.jpg
      cp.jpg
      File size:
      240.6 KB
      Views:
  10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    According to the Crucial site the max ram for your syste IS 4Gb

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1012377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice