1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DDR400 runs as DDR266 (133MHz)?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blue flame, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blue flame

blue flame Thread Starter

I installed 512MB DDr400 on my AsRock P4i65G (478) 1.5GHz but the BIOS detects it as DDR266 (133MHz) only. The BIOS does not provide settings for RAM speed. Is there something wrong with the mainboard or is it with the new memory I installed?
    Thanks.

2. Jones

Jones

Did you install the new memory in addition to your old memory?

Here's the info page on your board:
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P4I65G

It indicates support for 400/333/266 memory types, but you can't mix and match speeds. They will only run as fast as the slowest memory stick.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is probably nothing wrong. The RAM timing is determined by other factors, like your bus speed which is probably 133 MHz and what other RAM you have installed. There is also a "multiplier" factor. Look for settings related to those (They would be relating to the CPU). It may be unchangeable.

What speeds do you see relating to anything else on your machine?

4. blue flame

blue flame Thread Starter

Yes i have removed the old RAM. Only the new one is installed in the system.
    The multiplier factor in the BIOS is only applicable for the CPU.
    I tried to change the mulitiplier factor but only the CPU speed is changed.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is your CPU running at its rated speed? If not, there may be board jumpers for the bus speed that would increase it to 200. DDR runs at 2x bus speed, so that would make it effectively 400 MHz.

6. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Don't old P4 CPUs (Pre-Presccot) have a 533Mhz bus which translates to 133x4 (Quad pumped bus)? In that case and if the above posts are correct then there is propably nothing wrong with your RAM. It justs equals the FSB speed and I don't think that you ll benefit that much by faster RAM on a P4 class machine, I guess FSB and RAM must have a 2:1 speed analogy. An 800Mhz FSB Presscott will need RAM at 400 Mhz. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice