1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ddr5 graphics card in dual core machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by airbrushguy, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. airbrushguy

airbrushguy Banned Thread Starter

HI there all, i have a question.. i have a spare ddr5 HIS 5770 graphics card i was wondering if i could put it in my little dual core machine (old trusty) ,the card can run dvi or hdmi or is this overkill for such a small machine being a dualcore and all its an acer veriton 5700g 2 gig of ram,ps its running win 7 (dunno how i jammed it in there but i did), and if its possible would i need any hdmi drivers to help the board cope or is it just impossible all together? would be cool if i could turn it into a tiny freak machine :) ,hopefully i havnt left anything out ,cheers

2. airbrushguy

also it currently runs a asus silent gt210 1gb card ddr3,and i have a spare 720 watt psu ,obviusly id need to add that to run the card also

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

No real issue running a DDR5 memory equipped card in a dual core system, the card may not perform to it's full potential but it'll still work, depending on which processor you have it may not be limited at all, the Radeon HD 5770 is a great card but by no means a monster. The stock Acer power supply won't be able to handle it properly but if you have a 720 watt PSU then that would do it.

AMD has drivers that will install all the drivers needed for the card: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

4. airbrushguy

thanks very much i thought it probebly would , and no its not a monster especially in comaparison to my main machine 8 core amd with asus mars III Dual GTX 680 8GB limited edition, thanks :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065522