1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

De-registered XP home ---> XP pro HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ozwinedude, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozwinedude

ozwinedude Thread Starter

Hi all,

Nearly at my wits end with this one, am fairly computer savvy but have nothing but problems with winblows XP, so heres the situation:

I bought an IBM thinkcentre P4 2.8ghz, 512mb ram, 40gig hdd of a business partner as my current home puter stinks. He de-registered the copy of XP home he had on it, and I have XP pro and want to install that and heres what I've tried:

1. Tried forcing it to boot from cd with my xp pro cd in the drive, seems to just want to load up the xp home thats already on it and wants me to register it

2. Tried a boot disk off the net, which loads a cd rom driver fine and allows me to start winnt.exe, this however can't recognise the HDD and therefore hasnt got anywhere to put the swap file, or for that matter start install winblows

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts at all on this one as its getting pretty damn annoying!

Cheers guys

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice