1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead, beeping desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bernsinlanc, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bernsinlanc

bernsinlanc Thread Starter

I was working on my daughter's hand-me-down desktop unit I built 5 or 6 years ago. She told me that she was always getting strange error messages, so I updated her a/v, and was in the process of checking for any needed Windows (XP-Pro) and browser updates, when I got the dreaded "Microsoft genuine software?" window. Since I bought that software new from New Egg, when I built the unit, I expected no problem. Well, long story short--the screen goes black, briefly, and then several pop-ups inform me that I do NOT have the genuine Windows software, but that they will gladly sell me some, for $149.95. Nuts to that, so I tried rebooting, and when it tried to restart, I got no sound, no fans running--just a beep every 5 seconds or so. Nothing works, and I had to turn off the rocker switch on the back to stop the beeping. I'm guessing that maybe the power supply failed, or maybe MS can now "ZAP" yer PC into submission if you don't have "genuine" software.
    Any ideas?? (I would gladly download/run the TSG info, IF I could get it running.)

Bernie

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Date and Time is wrong.

3. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Make sure it's set correctly in the BIOS. Your internal battery may have died (the tiny battery inside the computer that stores the time). This would cause the computer to forget the time.

When you first switch on, press F2/DEL or whatever it says to get into the BIOS. Set the time if it's wrong.

4. bernsinlanc

bernsinlanc Thread Starter

To Dave Burnett--sorry to say that reply went right over my head! Got it now tho'. And, now that you mention it, the time WAS wrong in the BIOS, So, I set it. Sheesh. Never thought that would cause what happened. Gotta go find a battery, now. Does every pc mfgr use the same # (2032?). Hmmmm...

Bernie

5. Lucky09

Lucky09

Hi,
    Butting in my 2 cents, it looks there's a chance of life on the Mobo since it is still beeping.
    I suggest remove all the RAM Cards and put them back in.
    If still failed, try to isolate if one or more RAM card failed or maybe one or more slot on the Mobo.
    insert the RAM Cards one by one, see if it will boot with any of the RAM cards. test each RAM slots as well by randomly (random since we are not sure yet which is/are the working RAM card) inserting the card to the slots.

It is recommended that there it is only the monitor connected when doing the test. Make sure cards are properly secure in place before turning the PC on. Keep the RAMs that doesn't produce beeping.
    If none of the RAMs or Slots are successful, it could be a Mobo problem then.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you switch off using the normal switch on the front of the case it should remember the time and date.

You should still get a new battery though. It's nearly always a 2032 but if you want to make sure take the old one out and check.

7. dai

dai

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice