1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dead boot record?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stimuli, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stimuli

stimuli Thread Starter

If I picked the wron forum for this, I appologise.

system stats:

windows xp version 5.1.2600 SP2
    amd duron 1002mhz x86 family 6 model 7
    master drive- 160 gig western digital
    slave drive- 6 gig western digital

ok..here we go

About 2 months ago my master drive, which is my boot drive, became inaccessable. My system would hang at "verifying DMI pool". This message was followed by what appeared to be the phrase "YoYo", except that the o's looked like pig noses.
    After doing some research I learned that the boot record on my master drive may be corrupt.
    I unhooked my master drive and was then able to boot from the 6 gig slave drive as it was a year ago before I added the 160 gig master.
    I also discovered that if I hooked up the 160 gig master after the slave was already up and running, I could at least see and access the master and the files on it, but was still unable to boot from the master. Sounds like corrupted boot files right? At that point I was relieved that there was still hope for restoring the master.
    Well the next day I found that hooking up the master after the slave was already up and running would lock up my system. Additionally, the CMOS setup utility now cannot "see" the 160 gig drive and the Western Digital utilities disk that came with the 160 gig drive keeps telling me that drive is empty! WHAT??? PARDON ME???
    I dont see any way I could have accidentally erased 160 gigs of files! (actually I had only filled up about 70 gigs of it so far...but still!)
    I have no windows disk to try and restore the boot files, (relative gave me the computer with windows already on it) but if it would help, I could borrow a windows disk from someone.

Please tell me there is still hope of recovering the files on the master drive. :( It contains a year of irreplaceable creative work that was meant to kick start a new life.

I know your rolling your eyes thinking "if it was so important, why didnt you back it up you moron?", but I cant afford any device that could back up that amount of information.

Is there a way to copy the boot record from the working slave drive to get the master to work?

2. Swiper

Swiper

I would venture a guess and say the the drive is pooched given what you have stated it was doing and giving you a funky error message with yoyo ( pig nose's etc. )

go look for WD harddrive utility program on the net and run some tests on the drive.
    If BIOS/CMOS can not see it, chances are it is either :

a) not hooked up correctly ( hook it up by itself before running utilty to see if drive is *seen*
    b) drive is pooched beyond repairability.

good luck
    Swiper

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

(1) If the Computer originally came with Windows XP -
    (2) And there is a sticker on the case with the original Windows XP Product code ...
    a borrowed XP disc might work using the original XP Product code.

If the answer to (1) or (2) is NO -
    then you'll proably have to buy a new Windows XP to get an XP product code to register with this computer.

You might be able to install the HD in a working computer, as a slave, and read the data from it.

4. stimuli

stimuli Thread Starter

Swiper, as I said above, I ran the western digital utilities disk that came with the 160 drive, but it keeps saying the drive is empty.

Noyb, there isnt a sticker, but a new copy of windows will repair the boot record without erasing the rest of the files on the drive?

So, there is no way of using the boot record from the 6 gig slave to get the master working?

thank you for your replies

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice