1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead Cd Drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lakz, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakz

lakz Thread Starter

Hi. I have Windows 98 SE and the manufacturer of my computer is Compaq Presario. I have a 7478 Presario PC. I have two CD Drives, a CD Burner and a DVD drive. The CD Burner is right under the DVD drive.

My problem is, the other day I was taking out my CD from my CD Burner when my little sister jumps from my bed onto it. Now, the drive is unable to open nor close without me prying it open. Is there some way I can bring this in to get it fixed or is it just a hopeless case?

My problem continues when my DVD drive won't read CD-R and CD-RWs. I use to be able to do this in the past when my CD Burner was fine. It can read normal Game CDs but with some difficulty. Let me explain the problem, I insert the CD into the DVD drive and I go into My Computer to open the DVD Drive (E:). Well I'm sure I have my CD in but it brings up E:/ is not accesable ; The Device is Not Ready.

2. ozinpho

ozinpho

Hi, seems like the tray has been whacked out of line, could be out of gear or bent some. Continued use may damage cd's. It may cost more to fix than to buy a new unit. Suggestions, move computer further away from bed, nail sister to floor, get new sister.:D

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Although it might be possible to fix the drive, it's pretty difficult to say without seeing it and taking it apart. Since you can pick up CD-RW drives for $35-40 nowadays if you shop, it's probably not worth attempting to fix unless you have lots of time on your hands.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice