Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead computer after replacing 2032 battery

385 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  PeterOz 
#1 ·
Trying to revive old computer. Wanted to upgrade it and give to Grandson (15) to do video editing.
After watching Carey Holzman video about troubleshooting I felt confident and foolish enough to DYI.
Computer would turn on and fans and lights would spin up, but got a beep beep beep with no image on monitor.
Tried disconnecting HDD and restart same result.
Thought maybe battery was dead as it had been setting unused for a few years. So I popped out the CR2032 and replaced with a new one.
It made a fizzing sound, which I didn't expect. Like sizzeling bacon. I thought hummm that's funny.
Reconnected power cord and turned on...... NOTHING. No fans, no lights, no beep Nothing.
Not feeling so confident now. So what is the next step? Did I fry the motherboard?
Is this system so old (like me) that I shouldn't even bother? Just do a new rebuild?
A new life challenge. Never built one before.
And yes it is very dusty, I intended to blow that out if it worked.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would say it is not worth fixing. One big reason is that intel stopped ALL support for their motherboards ie no drivers available for intel motherboards.
So I understand. This system made a noise when you installed a new cmos battery. Was the pw cord removed and pw supply fully discharged when this happened?

#3 ·
got a beep beep beep with no image on monitor.
That is not indicative of a BIOS battery needing replacement.
For the future:
When a BIOS battery needs replacing you will see the following on the screen:
Press F1 to enter setup
Press F2 to continue.

The beep,beep,beep are specific beep codes and tell you what is wrong with the computer. The fact that you never saw a thing on the screen leads me to believe that there is a video problem. Does the computer have a video card or just a video chip on the motherboard?

I'm not sure what that sizzling sound was but it is definitely not normal when doing a simple battery replacement.

#4 ·
Normally you will still see some text on the screen even if the Cmos battery is dead.
If the power was disconnected you may have shorted the new battery when putting it in which could have caused the sizzling sound.
Try removing the new Cmos battery and see if that changes anything.

#5 ·
As my colleagues have said it is unlikely to be worth any cost of trying to repair and even if you proceeded it is unlikely that the computer would meet the requirements of
to do video editing.
depending on those described
but got a beep beep beep
beeps - could be
Computer Beeps 3 Times on Startup for Intel® Desktop Boards
however see products to which it relates

On legacy boards three beeps is first 64K memory failure
BIOS Beep Codes for Intel® Desktop Boards

The first 64K of ram may indicate a failure on NOT the physical ram sticks but the memory chip in which the CMOS etc and initial boot is stored
That could also fit in with the sizzle sound - when you inserted the new CMOS battery - UNLESS it was a short caused by you with the battery or by having the system powered on - if not one may presume it is a failure on the board itself

I cannot read the model of the Intel board from your attached image
Not that I think knowing it would assist at this stage./

#6 ·
Thank you all for your help. As I feared it is so old it is not worth fixing.
But yes I unhooked the power cord for each step and pushed to on button to drain any residual power.
And there were not just three beeps but it continued to beep repeatedly.
And there is no video card. I was intending to add one.
At least I have a case and fans to start with. :)

#8 ·
You may not even want to use that old case. Modern cases put the pw supply at the bottom and [generally] isolate it from the rest of the case with a shroud. This stops the pw supply from adding heat to the case. There have been a lot of improvements in case design since your case was made; usb3 or usb3c ports, mounts for larger case fans, the hard drive cage has been largely done away with [drives are mounted behind the motherboard for a cleaner case, etc.

#9 ·
Thanks for the heads up.
For what it's worth, I took the good hard drive out of the one I fried and put in in the older one that had a bad hard drive. Wow .. It booted up to windows and gave me this msg. (photo)
I don't know how to check if the hd was configured and terminated correctly
And should Chkdsk /F be run before or after checking above?
I ran the Windows auto fix and it tried to restore to a previous good point.
Obviously there was not one on this computer with this hd.
So on bootup, it gave me the same msg again.
What to do?

Attachments

#10 ·
Your first pic shows a sata type hard drive. There are no jumpers for that type drive [well some very old sata drives did have jumpers however that was to limit speed not config the drive] The only drives that use a terminator are scsi type drives which you do not have installed.
Most likely you are getting that message because of a driver conflict. You cannot take a drive from one system; install it on another and expect it to boot windows without problems.

#11 ·
I agree with the others. However I would recommend you try and fix this one as a learning curve
So when you do build your own you have a better understanding of what happens.
If you get this going then keep it to experiment & play with.
When you go to build your own ask here 1st about the parts you think you want to use and someone will tell you if they all go together. Lots of people have the knowledge and are willing to help.
As for the BSOD is this a windows 7 machine ? if yes do you have a win 7 repair or original disc?
If yes
Install disc and run startup repair Start up repair from dvd Sometimes startup repair can be an option by pressing F8 when the computer 1st boots- keep tapping.
Cheers
Peteroz

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.