1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead Computer Cemetary

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by 2twenty2, May 11, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. 2twenty2

2twenty2 Thread Starter

This thread is for dead computers/video cards/harddrives/ram/monitors/modems/thumb drives, etc.

clipart-of-tombstone-14.png
    Dell Optiplex 740
    Released 2007
    Died May 11 2018 :cry:

( I removed some parts [hdd/optical drive/card reader/heatsink/fan/power suply, etc.] that I can use in my Dell Optiplex 780)

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    valis likes this.
  2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Good Thread and it could evolve... :cool: I started putting computers together in the early 1990's and from then until now it's been cool watching the changes.
    I remember when 10 megs of RAM was $50.00...:eek:

3. 2twenty2

2twenty2 Thread Starter

I remember when 32 pin 1 meg stick of ram was $50

I had a 386DX motherboard that had 8 slots for ram. Yes you read that right 8 ram slots. Cost me $400 bucks for 8 meg of ram! I ran windows 95 on that motherboard like nobody's business after I installed a new controller card and an S3 2mb video card upgradable to 4mb. Ran better than the 486DX motherboard I had.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  4. valis

valis Moderator

man i wish I had photos of my first build. Had it mounted on a peg board and turned it on with a screwdriver.

Then I got a cat. Had to rethink things.

RT and 2twenty2 like this.
  5. valis

valis Moderator

also, I remember I was the first nerd on the block to get a 5gb hd. I literally had several people come over to check it out. I had no clue what to do with that storage. Now Ive got two 2tb externals and am using a lot of it.

Moore's Law, indeed.

2twenty2 likes this.
  6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    This is about one of my favorites if only for the price I paid at an estate auction...$35.
    I bought it fully functional the reason being to learn hands on about the hardware and how to upgrade.
    It was a Magitronic tower, AMD K350, 64 gb ram and a socket 7 motherboard.
    I upgraded the CPU to a K500, added memory ( sorry, forget how much ) and installed a beta bios across the Internet in order to install a larger hard drive.
    Ran Win98se very well.

My Magitronic was already old when I got it, and 3 years later the motherboard went bad.
    It would be interesting to have seen how well a Puppy Linux distro would have performed on it.

Still have some of it's parts. But nothing to put them in :D

7. RT

RT

The first computer I ever used was through my work place, oh late'70s maybe early 1980-ish. A Tandy, sold by Radio Shack. Don't recall the model but it's on display as a sort of 'museum' piece, with a little plaque saying Our First Computer or something like that.
    DOS based, all I recall is you could type words, and play Pong in glorious B&W on the tiny screen. ;) Seemed amazing at the time, and it was used for work purposes, somehow.
    RAM was measured in Kb, back when Gates said all you need is 276K...I reckon we got state of the art back then. I don't recall the HD or processor specs, but it did accept floppies (I think, but maybe not...) Long time ago!

valis likes this.
  8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    With all this talk about past dead computers, I decided to resurrect my first and only self built computer that I assembled in 2006 and relive the days of Win 2K.

Windows runs well, but none of the USB ports work and the # 2 hard drive, an old 60gb IDE drive I used for data appears to have had better days. lol!
    I think I have a USB2 card somewhere in one of my parts boxes, so that I can fix, so long as nothing else on the MB goes bad.

This was the computer I originally experimented with both installed Linux distros and Live CD/DVD distros.

Think I'll install some old games on it :)

valis likes this.
  9. RT

RT

Hope that works out for you! :D

Switching to Win10 seems to have killed my old games. But I haven't investigating all patches and whatnot.

But I just wanna say I am sorry to see my previous machine, a Velocity Micro Z40, put to rest. Bought in 2011, and just a few months ago laid to rest, it has an awesome chassis! All aluminum, full size desktop, so really easy to get your hands in the guts and sturdy as a rock...compared to the plastic things you see so often
    No sharp edges, actually a pleasure to work within.
    I have harvested the parts I could, not sure how useful they might be in the future.
    RAM had little heat sinks on 'em :cool:, four sticks @2Gb per that I upgraded to but the clock speed would be a factor in a new system.
    But the PSU (EVGA Bronze 600w) might be handy at some point.

And the 1Tb HDD will certainly be compatible as I speak, and I'll be installing that in my new system to get at all the files I've accumulated for the past 7 years.
    Never got to the point of tinkering with mobos or CPU changes, and if I had some experience there I could well be using that chassis (it's got a windowed side and bright blue lights)

'Twas a faithful and (generally) mighty steed that served me well...I just chose poorly the mobo during the config of it.

Johnny b and valis like this.
  10. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Well.....Some success with those USB ports.
    They work afterall, just won't boot from them.
    Bios boot order list has the regular hard drive and CD/DVD, but instead of USB, it lists 'removable'. hmmm?
    Probably needs a bios flash to 'correct' that, think I'll pass.

Other than the bad secondary hard drive and boot order, everything seems to work as it should.

Installed Diablo last night. Looked good and played smooth.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!