Dead computer = file transfer problem...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheGeodeHunter

Hello everybody! Long-time listener, first time caller. :)

My laptop of four years (a toshiba) recently lost the ability to charge and will no longer power up. I have files on the hardrive that I'd like to transfer to another computer, but since I can't even get it to power-up, a simple flashdrive just won't do. I have a few options:

1)Since the problem dealt with the input in the back becoming loose, I thought about taking it apart and repairing it so it can charge correctly. I've heard it's kind of dangerous, and I've seen tutorials, so it's really not something I want to attempt or ask anyone to do for me.
2) Buy a new battery and hope it lasts long enough for me to extract pics/music/papers/etc.
3) Somehow get at the laptop hard drive and use it as an external hard drive to transfer the files.

So, in short, I know these are my options, but I have no idea how to start pursuing these things, or if there is an easier/better way to get the information out of my laptop. I'd prefer a way to keep using my laptop, but I understand if it's just not possible anymore.

Thanks in advance! Trust that I wouldn't take up your time if this stuff wasn't important to me. -TGH

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Option 3 is the cheapest and easiest.
The drives are usually fairly easily removable without taking it apart.
In most cases it is a single screw to remove the disk holder from the case and then just 4 screws to remove the disk from the holder.
There will also be a pull off adapter on the connecting pins.

TheGeodeHunter

Cool, thanks Dave! I took a look around and found a device called the NexxTech 2.5" Hard Drive Enclosure (it was the best thing I could find without having to order online since I'd prefer an immediate solution).

My only question now is, how does it work? Do I just extract the laptop hard drive, place it in the enclosure, then hook it up via USB cable? If that's the case, then $30+ is worth the fix. I'm just concerned about compatibility issues. :(
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Nexx...50788/catOid/-12976/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
That's all there is to it.
The only thing you need to look at is the power requirement for the disk.
Look at the label on the top and you will see it needs 5v and there is an indication of the current needed.
If it needs more than 500mA you will need to supplement the power as there is a maximum of 500mA per USB lead.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online