1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dead computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by confusd2oftn, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. confusd2oftn

confusd2oftn Thread Starter

It might have started about a month ago. The computer would just freeze up. CTRL ALT DEL wouldn't work. I always had to hard restart. Reloaded XP. Made no difference. Freezes came more often till...

Now it won't boot. No video output to the screen. Floppy is dead. Cd & Burner seem to work as does HD. CRT ALT DEL won't restart. Just freezes with no video output and HD light on.

Tried a different HD and different memory. Tried to boot to rescue floppy. Tried to boot to XP cd. Does the same as above.

I think the floppy could have been down before this, but I'm not sure. I rarely use it.

Thanks in advance for any help...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I sounds like a basic issue with primary system components. First step it to check all connections and reseat all expansion boards. If that fails...

I'd start by checking power supply voltages if you have a voltmeter. For basic debugging, I like to connect just the P/S, MB, and video board, nothing else except of course, the keyboard. Try to get that running and accessing the BIOS first. Once you get past that stage, you can look into adding in the other stuff.

3. n2gun

n2gun

Welcome To TSG

Are you getting any of the beeps when you try to boot?

Check to see if the fans are running. Especially the one on the cpu. Also do as John suggested if all the fans are running. If it boots with the bare minimum then add one item at a time. It can be a bad piece of hardware or even a power supply going bad.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice