1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dead computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lpfirefox, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lpfirefox

lpfirefox Thread Starter

My computer suddenly will not boot up. It was running fine and I plugged in the power cord to my printer and suddenly my screen went black. I shut everything off and tried to reboot. Nothing happened. In fact the tower does not seem to want to stay on. The processor light comes on green, power light does not come on. There is not a problem with the monitor because i hooked it up to a lap top and monitor works fine. I hooked an old monitor up to the tower and still do not get any prompts. Nothing on the screen at all..in fact the older monitor states "no signal". Fan is on on the tower, but nothing happens. Any ideas?

2. Chico1984

Chico1984

Hello,

Give this a try and let me know if it works:

Unplug everything from the back of your computer.
    Now, only plug in the following: keyboard, mouse, monitor, which is the bare-minimum needed to get a machine going.

If you still get no response from the system, turn it off and turn it back on, does the "thinking" light come on at all? (This is usually orange). If the green light comes on (power light), but the thinking light does not come on at all, or it comes on and stayed 1 color and does not blink, then it could be the motherboard.

There is a slight chance it could be the video card on the motherboard, but we'll rule that out for the moment.

If the above steps work, power down, and reconnect the other devices, including the power to the printer, and then turn on the system.

Hope this helps!

3. lpfirefox

lpfirefox Thread Starter

I have a pretty technical friend her with her lap top...I have done the whole cord thing...even used a different set of cords. I know it is not the cords. We also hooked my monitor up to her lap top and know it is working just fine. This is a Dell computer and it has 2 lights on the front, one is the power light, which will not come on at all..but the hard drive light comes on but just remains green. In fact it will not stay on for very long, and then it shuts itself off. I opened up the tower and removed the battery, left it out for a while and put it back in, still no luck...we are only plugging in the monitor and keyboard. I think you are right, it must be the mother board...due to the lights, (power/hard drive activity) and the way they are working.

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

lp:
    Please provide your computer skill level, specific to hardware.

Is this a desktop or laptop?

Is the printer connected via USB or parallel port?

With the computer turned off, disconnect all cables from the computer, except for mouse, monitor, keyboard, power supply. Turn on the computer. If it starts up, the problem is caused by 1 of the things you unplugged.

Assuming the computer is desktop:
    If the problem persists:
    Again, open the case. Disconnect the power & data cables to your hard disk drive, floppy drive, optical drives. Remove all add in cards [ sound, modem, network, etc ]. If the computer has a graphics / video chip built into the motherboard & also an add in video card, remove the add in video card & connect your monitor to the integrated video chip port. If the computer has more than 1 stick of ram, remove all but 1 stick.

Turn on your computer. If it boots, turn it off. Connect the power & data cables to the hard drive. Turn on the computer. If it boots, turn off the computer. Add things one at a time.

RF123

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the machine was working and suddenly quit, the first thing to test is the power supply.

In failure analysis the #1 cause of failure is the power supply, #2 is the motherboard.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice