1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead Dell Diagnostic

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Techsher, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Techsher

Techsher Thread Starter

Dell Latitude D620 2gb ram, bios revision a08

This Sunday my computer was getting stuck on the Dell logo screen with the progress bar at the bottom.(n) The bar advances about one eighth of the way and stops. Sometimes it did not do even go to that screen. Well, I turned in on and off a few times and it finally started and worked the rest of the week. (y)

Today, Friday we are back to where we were on Sunday. (n)Thank goodness I got to back up my files this week.(y) I was able to get logged on today, but then the mouse stopped working. Now, it is again getting stuck on the Dell screen or before.

I tried to boot up after taking out the hd and then after taking out the 1 gig chip that pops out of the bottom. No luck. I tried a different power cord. I have a new battery, but it only takes me about an hour to use it up.

Before I pay someone to tell me to pay some expensive part or a new computer, is there anyone out there who could tell me what's wrong or is there a procedure for figuring out what is wrong so I could buy the part without consulting the expensive expert?:cool:

Thanks.

PS I just got it to boot up again normally with cursor working. What can I do to see what is going on?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

The prime suspect for these symptoms is a failling hard drive. Follow this guide below, you would be advised to use another PC to make the disk.

When you tried to boot with one mem stick removed did you also try to boot with that stick replaced and the other one removed? If not, try it, as memory could also be a cause but do not remove the hard drive at the same time, it will never boot without the hard drive.

3. Techsher

Techsher Thread Starter

Thank you. I will try this on Sunday when I have time.

I could not find the other memory stick.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, the other memory stick is probably located under the keyboard, you will need to remove the keyboard to get to it. Google it and you may find some dissasembly instructions for that model.

5. Hughv

Hughv

6. Techsher

Techsher Thread Starter

Hi Again,

OK my laptop stopped going on again today. I found the other memory stick under the keyboard. Computer still would not start without it.

Last week I install a free Hard Drive monitoring program called hddlife and it said my hd was running fine. It registered 60% although I am not familiar enough with the terms to know what that means.

So, today I used my daughter's laptop to burn a DOS cd from seagate. I inserted it into my computer, but it won't even load up the first screen. The green power button goes on and the cd drive gives a few spins, then nothing happens.

It may go on a little later as it did last week.

Is there any way that I can diagnose the problem without it booting up?

Thanks a zillion.

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

Did you burn the disagnostics CD following the instructions in my guide. It has to be burned as an image (.ISO). ImgBurn is the best way to do it has it is dedicated to burning ISO's. If you just copied the ISO to the disc it will not boot.

Have you tried to run the Dell Diagnostics as suggested by Hughv?

8. Hughv

Hughv

Have you changes the boot order in theBIOS?

9. Techsher

Techsher Thread Starter

I ran the Dell diagnostic twice.
    Ran the Seagate short and long diagnostic.
    The computer passed all of them.

It is booting up again.

When the computer is booted up, it works beautifully. The booting up just gets a little sticky.

Just a little while ago my son tried to boot it up.It did not go at al and he left it on. Then maybe 15 minutes later it was in setup mode and I was able to get it to boot up for the first time today. This leads me to believe that when it is getting stuck, maybe it needs more time to get throught the booting up.

Now, however, it is booting up normally again.

Could it be a problem with the bios?

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Intermittent faults are the worst ones to try and diagnose. Such faults will be related to hardware or a loose connection, it can even be a faulty mouse/touchpad or keyboard, check for any sticky keys.

Slow boot up problems are usually the hard drive in the first stages of failing. You could just pull the hard drive out and then reseat it just in case it has a poor connection.

If the Bios was the cause it would not be intermittent.

Unfortunately in this case I think you have to persevere with it until the problem becomes permanent, then we may be able to diagnose what it is. While the fault is not active you are not going to find it. If it is just a bad connection the problem may fix itself and never return.

11. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    The dell d620 came out in 06. Since its at least 5 years old it could be any number of things failing.But as suggested maybe try replacing the hard drive and go from there.In dell computers they sometimes beep if the ram is bad at least on a desktop.And they give you the beep codes for all of the dell models. If its not the harddrive then the ram should be checked or replaced next.And sadly keyboard problems can mean a failing motherboard.I found that out all to well on two laptops one fairly new one used.

12. Techsher

Techsher Thread Starter

Thanks Mark and Hughv. I learned a lot.

13. Mark1956

Mark1956

Your welcome and please post back here if the problem returns.

14. Techsher

Techsher Thread Starter

Hi Again,

The hd monitoring software I have says that the seek error rate is at 60%. Does that mean I should get a new hd?

Is it worth getting a new drive for this machine or is it too old to bother with? Maybe something else will go and I might as well get a totally different one. I prefer trying to keep this one going since anyway I bought it used and most of the time it is working fine.

Thanks for any input.

15. Hughv

Hughv

That's not considered a critical error, and SMART isn't a great predictor of problems, so don't worry too much about it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice