1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead Dell Latitude D600

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by metarewind, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metarewind

metarewind Thread Starter

A little less than a year ago I got ripped off on a refurbished Dell Latitude D600. I traded in my pretty much brand new LG 19'' widescreen LCD which was about $200. And my HP Slimline with all the extra stuff included like a burner, laser lightscribe, multi memory card reader, ect...it cost me around $500. The PC was about a year old. Well I traded those things in for this laptop AND paid $300 cash. My girlfriend said not to do it, but the I've known the guy for years. I thought okay well he knows more about computers than I do...considering he has his own computer business. So I did it. Initially the laptop came with Linux and shortly after I had it replaced with Windows XP. Within the first month my hard drive failed and they made me pay about $80 to replace it. They then told me they were not able to pull any data from it. Some how something happened and the screen had to be replaced so they replaced it with a screen that doesn't even fit! It is too big for the laptop so it doesn't close and obviously that keeps it from being able to hibernate or anything-correct? Well they told me it was only cosmetic, that I would never have any problems. Wrong. The left side snapped-not just the hinge-some freakin part under that strip that covers the power button and volume. A guy told me the other day that part can't even be fixed without replacing the casing! On top of alllll of that....

The other day I noticed my battery was critical, but the ac adapter was plugged in and the green light was on(the adapter). It eventually died before I could try getting a new ac adapter, but I bought a brand new one and it didn't work either!(yes it was Dell) I took the battery out to see if it would work just with the ac adapter and of course it would not. The DC jack doesn't seem to be loose, but maybe it could be that. I noticed the back where the fan vent is at...it looks like someone may have dropped my laptop, but I have no freaking way of knowing. No one has fessed up.

This pc tech guy said he could take it all apart and see if the laptop is getting any juice at all, but he would have to charge me $100 just to take it apart. The guy looked at it for me for free and actually refunded me for the new ac adapter and his store refuses all returns! I guess he felt bad. So I ended up walking away in tears because I have already put like $800 into a less than $400 freaking laptop!!

So what do I do? I have no clue how to solder. I loved that laptop it worked perfect until now.(and after I stopped going to my "friend" for help)Could it be a bad battery cause it is constantly running? I almost always had my ac adapter plugged in. I never ran the battery down. None of the lights come on, it won't power up. It is just laying there dead. No sparks ever flew no smoke no nothing. It just stopped charging, died and then never came back.

Please help me :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/805699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice