1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead Dell Studio 540

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by catbounds, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catbounds

catbounds Thread Starter

(typed on my iPad). Pc shut down last night as usual. This morning completely dead, no beeps, nothing, except for one power light on back. Everything else, Wacom monitor & pad, regular monitor,etc have power. I checked all cables, replugged, opened the tower, reseated stuff, blew out dust, nothing.

The only problem I've been having that might be related is on sites with heavy graphics, like Pinterest, it slows or freezes, (though i had the thing custom configured for graphic artist programs like Painter & Photoshop) and begins making a loud humming sound. It shows that Firefox is using millions of CPUs (maybe not the right term). So I'll close the browser and start over. Humming goes away.

So, any ideas on where to start reviving the dead giant? It's 3 or 4 years old and I've been wishing I could switch to a Mac but not like this. I have a gazillion files on it that I NEED.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It is overeating. The humming is probably a fan that has stuck.

3. catbounds

catbounds Thread Starter

Thanx for your reply, Dave. That's pretty much what I was thinking.
    After I called the repairman and scheduled his visit, I opened the computer, took it outside, and blew out all the dust. There was a lot. Still no boot-up when I pushed the start button, but I hooked everything back, leaving the side open. Then about 2 PM, without me touching it, it booted up and has (knock wood) run great and restarted ever since. I had gotten lazy about backing up files, so I quickly caught up on that, and if it doesn't keep running, at least I'm better prepared.
    Moral to this story: A clean house doesn't mean your pc is clean inside.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1068542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice