1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dead gigabyte motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DirkvdM, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DirkvdM

DirkvdM Thread Starter

My Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard (Athlon 64) is totally unresponsive. First, after I had swapped the graphics card to another computer and back again, I got a long beep followed by two or three shorter beeps (sounded more like a stutter) and a completely black screen. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting various items and even completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the computer. Now, nothing happens at all when I try to power up. Not even a mobo led lights up, nor does any fan start up even a bit. I crossconnected the power supply and power switch with the other older computer and starting that one up with this computer's power supply worked, so the power is ok (the other way around didn't work, of course, although I should add that the other one is an older ATX with just one 20-pin connector, while this 2 yr old computer has both a 20-pin and a 4-pin 12V connector). I also tried resetting the bios by removing the battery for a few minutes, but to no avail. I can't remember exactly, but I believe the total unresponsiveness came after I tried to boot without the (1 GB) ram installed, but I don't believe that could cause any permanent damage. Any thoughts?

2. erick295

erick295

One long beep followed by two or three short beeps is a video error, usually meaning the video card is bad, but it could also mean that the AGP/PCIe slot is bad. Does the video card work in that other computer, or does another video card work in this one?

You may have done something while you were putting it back together that's causing an unrelated problem... or the motherboard may have just finally died ;)

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

A few minutes may not have been long enough, particularly if the power cord was left plugged in. Moving the CMOS reset jumper is a better way to reset is.

4. DirkvdM

DirkvdM Thread Starter

Hold on, I've found the problem !
    (or so I thought)
    In my eager to clean everything, including the processor's heatsink, which had collected a fair bit of dust, I removed the processor. Only after that did I discover that I couldn't put it back with the zif bar in an upright position because the heatsink gets in the way. So it was already in a locked position when I put it in. I didn't think too much of it because I didn't have to force it in too much, but now that I've had a closer look I realise that this can never work.

So I removed the heatsink by twisting it off (came off easier than I thought), put the processor in (all the pins are perfectly straight, btw) and the heatsink back on. So I made the basic connections again and pushed the power swith - and still nothing happens. Here's my basic checklist:
    - 20-pin power cable connected
    - 4-pin 12V power connected
    - memory card in slot
    - cpu fan connected
    - Power cord connected (and power switch next to it to '1')
    - front power switch connected
    That's it, right? With this setup I should get some reaction, right? Of course it's not enough to boot the computer, but it should be enough to at least make it beep. Or am I missing something?

Oh and Frank, as you suggested I've left the battery out for a few hours (with the mb completely disconnected and outside the computer case) and then reset the cmos by putting a jumper in for a few seconds.

Another thing. Suppose I solve whatever the problem is, is it now safe to use the processor with the heatsink re-attached the way I did? Will the paste still transport the heat properly or do I have to apply some new paste (and where can I find it)?

It's getting a bit late (I'm Dutch), so I'll continue tomorrow. Maybe a new day will give clearer thoughts. Thanks so far.

5. replay

replay

u have to clean of the old paste (ispropyl 91% or higher) then reapply thermal paste lock down h/s plug in fan........

6. barey

barey

hey dude... chk d power supply.. it cud b dead... try groundin the green wire in d 20 pin connector

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/586660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice