1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dead gigabyte motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lancsDavid, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lancsDavid

lancsDavid Thread Starter

I've just built a system using a gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 motherboard & an AMD X2 3000+ chip (socket 939)

when i turn it on, there are no lights or LED's on the motherboard, & the the CPU- & chassis- fans just spin periodically

ie:- they both spin for a second, then cut out, spin for a second, then cut out (& so on)

i've swapped PSU's three times. 2 of the times using firstly a 700W thermaltake PSU that powers a much bigger Athlon X2 6000+ system, & also a brand new OCZ 600W stealthstream

(both of which produce the same stop-start-fan-spinning behaviour)

i've swapped the RAM for another stick of DDR that works in another system

i've done the jumpers on the CMOS

so all i can think is, it's either the CPU or the motherboard

not knowing whether the GA-K8NSC-939 motherboard is supposed to illuminate in some way to indicate its getting power from the PSU, i can't pinpoint the dud component

any help much appreciated

2. gamewolf

gamewolf

I am not for sure either. It does sound like a the motherboard however. I don't suppose you happen to have another processor that will fit?

3. lancsDavid

lancsDavid Thread Starter

no, don't have another CPU

will probably have to buy one or the other. was just hoping to get a bit of a clue from someone beforehand

4. brite750

brite750

did you buy this stuff new in the box?

5. jazz3000

jazz3000

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice