dead hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kingofburdocks

First Name
Steve
Is there a way that a home computer user can extract files from a crashed hard drive? It is a Maxtor 160 GB SATA. Hard Drive diagnosis identifies the drive by it's number, 64160M0 -Fail Return code 7. I can tell by the sound that my computer is trying to read the drive but it just comes up with "disk read error". I really doubt that another computer could read it as a slave.

It depends on how crashed it is. You could put it in another computer as a slave and see if it shows up as a second drive. If it does you could extract files that way.

kingofburdocks said:
Is there a way that a home computer user can extract files from a crashed hard drive? It is a Maxtor 160 GB SATA. Hard Drive diagnosis identifies the drive by it's number, 64160M0 -Fail Return code 7. I can tell by the sound that my computer is trying to read the drive but it just comes up with "disk read error". I really doubt that another computer could read it as a slave.
Hi kingofburdocks,

Read post #5 here: http://forums.techguy.org/t378898.html
and pay special attention to qldit's post. You may just be able to resurrect the crashed hard drive from the ashes (like a phoenix)!

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online