1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead Harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by littlesteph, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. littlesteph

littlesteph Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I have just taken my laptop in to get checked out, because it was having trouble restarting after it froze durning a system restore. The fellow told me I have a pretty much dead harddrive, and that it would be easily replaced under my extended warranty, provided I hadnt caused the problem.

The thing is, i spilt the tiniest bit of chocolate milk on my laptop about 3 months ago. I know, I'm an idiot, but I cleaned it up and let it dry out, exactly as you're meant to. Everything was fine, but now i'm worried that this has caused the death of my harddrive. Or that even if it didnt, they will see marks or something and charge me anyway. However, I have always had trouble with my laptop, it often shuts down for no reason, even before the milk incident. I have also had trouble with system restores in the past. I have a hp pavillion and my partucular type is also notorious for overheating. The guy I talked to said that it could well be just a large number of things disintergrating over time that has caused it, but if I could get some insight, that would be great. Id prefer to know now if im likely to have to pay a couple of hundred dollars to get it fixed!

Thanks

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

3. littlesteph

littlesteph Thread Starter

Phew. That makes me feel better. I know theres still a chance it could be caused by something like a surge but now I'm more optimistic, so thankyou!

My laptop is a hp pavillion dv2000 im pretty sure, but it has already been sent away so I dont really know any more than that.

Thanks again!

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

According to the page I linked, the DV2000 has a high incidence of bad boards, as well as the DV6000 and DV9000.

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Dump the dv2000 and put the money towards a new laptop

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Freely spending someone else's money?

I would not recommend that as a blanket statement about all DV2000's. Each one should be taken on an individual basis. I have a DV6000 here I took in on trade about a couple of weeks ago and it is doing fine. No problems in two weeks and I use it every day for at least two hours a day.

Although the incidence of bad boards was higher than average, not all DV2000, -6000 and -9000 series had bad boards.

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You sure your DV6000 did not have the board replaced before you got it?

They are dropping like flies.

8. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Absolutely. I know the person well from whom I got it and have been doing their work for about seven years. Also, HP says the board hasn't been replaced, at least not by them.

I did this checking with HP as a preliminary to working on the system and taking it in on trade.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice