Dead hardware due to Power Supply Malfunction?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

drucom

Well, A few weeks ago I posted this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/982437-irql_not_less_or_equal-then-bad_pool_caller.html

I was having problems with BSOD's, and after running MEMTEST 86, I kept getting errors in the RAM, so I was set on replacing the RAM that I had. Tragedy struck first, however. For some reason, flicking the switch (in the uk they have switches to turn the actual socket on/off)a few days after I had decided to get some new RAM sticks, it must have 'detected' it as 110 volts (rather than what it should be, 220+ volts). The power supply, for a lack of a better description, 'blew up'. I was obviously extremely pissed off. Not only would I have to replace the RAM, I would also have to get a new power supply. Everything was plugged in and installed when it blew up. The machine was off when I flicked the socket switch to ON, and it blew up, a bit of smoke billowed out of the power supply, I knew it was dead.

So I ordered a slightly better power supply, a Corsair TX 650W (I had an NZXT 600W before), which also automatically detects voltage. I also ordered 2 2gb sticks of corsair ddr2 800 mhz ram.

let me reiterate that the computer was actually OFF when the power supply blew up / got fried / etc. not sure if it makes any difference, but it may be worth pointing out again.

so i put it all back together again slowly. the power supply goes in, the motherboard was already installed with the processor on it, the heatsink goes in again, the 2 ram sticks go in, the cd drive goes in, and the video card is installed last. I then go ahead and plug in everything to the new power supply: the hard drive is connected, the video card's 2 pci-e 6 pin connectors and connected, all the fans are connected, the case fans and LEDs are connected, the cd drive is connected, the motherboard is connected by the 24 pin connector, everything is connected to my knowledge.

so when i go to turn it on, it works, the LEDs light up, i can hear the dvd spinning inside the dvd drive (i had left one inside, i can also open and close it up). I can also hear the hard drive spinning. all the fans are working. but I notice that my monitor has no image, even though it's on. so I check, and the video card fan isn't spinning.

Is it possible that when the power supply was fried, the video card was as well? even though the computer wasn't actually on?

in that vein, is it possible that something else is fried? could the processor be dead as well? the motherboard?

i'm not sure if this counts for anything, but I somehow don't think that the motherboard is dead. i mean, the heatsink is connected to the motherboard, not the actual power supply, and that still works.

so how can i know if the video card / processor (maybe) are actually dead, or maybe it's just something i'm overlooking?
would it be best that I take it in to a shop for a professional to take a look?

When a power supply blows you have to check each component individually. I've seen blown power supply's only take out the board and everything else was fine, and i've seen power supply's blow and take out everything.

If you don't have diagnostic equipment/parts to change out take it to a shop.

drucom

Ok, thanks for that, ill take it to a shop then. Hopefully I'm told that the only thing needing replacement is the video card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online