1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead HP NX8220 Laptop & ASUS A7N8X Deluxe 2 MOBO

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Everway9, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

Hi All.

I havn't been on here for a while. I hope y'all had a good festive season. All the best for the comming year! And hello and welcome to all new members since my last post.

I got a couple of problems here for you to take a look at if you get the time.

( 1 ) My old trusty HP NX8220 laptop died over Xmas. Extreme over indulgence + a "wee" argument with the wife = Vodka split all over my keyboard whilst switched on. I immediately pulled the power and turned it upsidedown in an effort to prevent the alcohol from soaking down to the MOBO. Alas, I don't think I was quick enough. All I get when I plug the power in is the AC light which goes off after a few seconds. Nothing else. I have stripped the laptop down and there is no visible damage. Every thing looks perfect and there is no smell of burning. Cant really smell the Vodka much either. Somethings obviously died though.
    Does anyone have any Ideas as to what the most likely component/s to have sustained damage is/are?

(2) After looking through my collection of old computer parts (I'm not so well off at the moment so cant buy any new parts) I found numerous MOBO's. One of which was an old Intel D865GBF. These boards are fussy when it comes to RAM and could not get it running with a satisfactory amount of RAM for XP (1.5GB). Then I stumbled upon my old ASUS A7N8X Deluxe v2. My first MOBO and probably one of the best ever made in my opinion. So after a good two days finding suitable hardware and setting everything up I now have my old trusty ASUS board up and running again. Due to the outdated hardware I have installed XPP and its running great.

Spec is as follows;

MOBO - ASUS A7N8X Deluxe V2
    CPU - AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (2.08GHz) (No overclocking)
    RAM - 1 x 1Gb DDR3200 + 2 x 512Mb DDR3200 Running in dual channel 400 (No overclocking)
    GPU - Nvidia FX5200 w/Tv out (no overclocking)
    PSU - Standard ATX 500w (cant remember make but its not a crap one)
    HDD's - 1 x Seagate ST340014A (IDE) (OS is installed here).
    1 x Hitachi HDT7250025VLAT80 (IDE)
    1 x Samsung SP0411N (IDE)
    1 x Seagate ST3250310AS (SATA)
    1 x Western Digital WD1600JS-75NCB1 (SATA)
    DVD - 1 x LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B
    Realtek 8 in 1 internal USB card reader (pinched from a HP DX2200 MT)

If anyone is wondering why my OS is not installed on one of the SATA drives its because both the SATA's I'm currently using are large storage drives for films, games, pictures etc. I know 160 & 250GB drives are classed as small by todays standards but they are the biggest I've got. These are seated in hot swap enclosures as I have other SATA drives that are also used for storage so I can easily change to the storage media I need. As the MOBO has only 2 SATA ports and the only SATA PCI card I can find seems to be dead. I will have to do with an IDE drive for the OS for now. Bit of a bummer because I do not have any bigger IDE drives that I can install the OS on as they are all full of data backups. I have an 80GB IDE spare but the 40GB is sufficient for now.

Anyway, you probably don't need to or want to know all of the above and are all probably wondering what question if any I need answered regarding this setup. I'm sorry for going on a bit too much. I got carried away. Probably the OCD kicking in again.

OK. All is setup and running fine but I have a entry in the Add/Remove programs list which is puzzling me a bit. Its the 'ULi Chipset Driver Version 1.0 5.8 (RAID driver I think) fine I'm sure but its listed as being 1,894.00MB in size (note the , as opposed to a . after the 1) which is if I'm not mistaken 1.894GB. Or is it 1.894MB If its GB this cant be correct.... can it? Please correct me if I'm just being really thick and am completely wrong about the size and that it is a RAID driver(?) Surely its just windows displaying an incorrect format for the size. Or maybe its just me getting confused between points and commas.

I did a search of my c drive and the only entry similar to this is nvsulib.dll which is connected to the Nvidia nTune app which is for the FX5200 config is it not?

So. Any ideas regarding the laptop? And regarding the A7N8X, whats the driver for and what size should it be?

Sorry if I went a little over the top with the info.

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew. :)

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

I doubt the laptop is saveable, as far as the driver, it could be a set of motherboard drivers. and Yes, Windows could be reading it wrong. if you have the disc for the board, or go download the drivers you need, I would just uninstall it, and reinstall.

It should not really affect anything, tho Im sure that would be a waste of space if windows is right.

3. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

Thanks. I thought as much for the laptop.

4. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

Update on the driver. This driver was not in the add/remove programs list until I used 'Driver Genius Pro' to scan for updated drivers. DGP listed a few updated drivers for the Nvidia chipsets on the MOBO and GPU which I installed. After that still no listing until I installed the ULi_m1697raid_drv6218 also listed as an update.

I did not realise that my board had a ULi chip for the RAID. It's Nvidia but I have never heard of 'ULi'. So the driver is obviously the RAID driver. I should have known that when I installed it. Duh!!! So the only thing remaining where the driver is concerned is the issue of size. Maybe its showing the combined total of all the nvidia chipset drivers but then again the Nvidia drivers are shown in the add/remove list.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice