1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dead keys on keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaygor, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaygor

jaygor Thread Starter

Hi Guys

Whist I was using notepad at home to write something I found that the following keys on my laptop are dead r, u,y, 2,4,and 0. virtually all the computing I have done in the last few days is general browsing for television listings and email. I use use notepad for wordprocessing beacuse its quick.

I have only tested out the lowercase alphabet and the set of numbers, but not the full set. I am using another computer from a different location to type this posting. My keyboard is a standard Sony laptop qwerty keyboard.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop, WinXP Pro, 512Mb RAM. I have checked for viruses, fierwall and ran spybot and the laptop appears to be clean. I rebooted with a restore point from a couple of days ago when I know everything was working and it still made no difference this morning. The keys are still dead. I cannot check the keys with an external keyboard to compare becasue I do not have a spare one. I will try to get one.

In the meantime if anyone has suggestions it would be most welcome.

May I add I was helped out by you guys ony a few days ago when my external USB hardrive suddenly became inactive and the problem was solved by a 'USB drive cleanup'

Many thanks in advance.

jaygor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/817760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice