1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dead laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonatay, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonatay

jonatay Thread Starter

I have a Gateway Solo 1150 that is dead! When you press the power button, you get an led flicker on the Battery, Caps lock, Num lock, and Scroll lock. Those all come on for about half a second. You can hear a beep at that instant. The fan also starts to take off for that moment and then quits. I have performed a hard reset with the button and removing the button batttery. I know for sure that is has power. The batter is charged and power is coming from the power cable. I read somewhere else that if it were the processor you would go no beeps or fan turning or anything. Please help!!!
    Thanks
    Jon

2. swwelsh

swwelsh

One beep would mean it has passed POST, which means that the system has checked itself and seen no obvious errors or electrical failures. That probably means the cpu, memory, and motherboard are OK. You could have a bad hard drive, bad screen or many other things. Try hooking up an external monitor to see if you get any display, next I would try removing the hard drive (usually pretty easy to get to), remove the battery, anything else that is non-essential. If you still get nothing it may just be dead or unrepairable. Any major repair to a laptop is not cost effective, its easier to get another computer. There are adapters that let you attach a laptop hard drive to a regular computer, so you could probably get all your data if the hard drive is not damaged

3. joeyd

joeyd

Also reseat the cpu and check/reapply the thermal paste. We often see this problem on units we manufacture, and in 75% of the cases it is due to heat.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Also try reseating the memory, and if there are two sticks try one at a time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice