Dead MBR

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Imorhi

Yesterday I turned on my computer to find out that my mbr is missing. Now, when I start my computer it says "PLEASE INSERT INSTALLATION CD AND PRESS "ENTER"". I need my mbr repaired so my O/S shows up on the vista boot CD so I can fix the boot. I have no idea how to fix this. Please help!

--Thanks

If the startup repair doesn't find your OS then try booting from the Vista DVD to a command prompt and use the following command.

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

Before you do this if you have anything important on this drive make sure it is backed up.

TechB said:
If the startup repair doesn't find your OS then try booting from the Vista DVD to a command prompt and use the following command.

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

Before you do this if you have anything important on this drive make sure it is backed up.
If you can access the bootrec command, you can also try other switches:

bootrec /scanos
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Imorhi

I've tried all 3 commands and still nothing...

But it did find my windows when i used scanos

still not showing up on the repair windows screen when i first boot into the windows disk though....

Imorhi

i;ve already tried that. it doesnt show up in the menu like in figure 4

If you have Maxtor or Seagate HDDs you might be able to repair the MBR with a "Maxblast" CD; I've done it. The fix is in the utility section of Maxblast.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online