1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Malcomeross1013, Jun 13, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Malcomeross1013

Malcomeross1013 Thread Starter

So today I spent all day trying to make sure my new power supply worked with my mother board.

It was a corsair 650w but my motherboard only had 4 pins for the CPU power port on the mobo and using the corsair power supply didnt work.

So after lots of other problems and a long day I resolved to using the original power supply for the computer wne the 650w for my graphics card alone with the paperclip trick

Finally my gpu fans spun in my computer

But my as it worked the computer didnt boot up in windows ten. Instead is said there was a disk error. Usually when my hard drives weren't connected to the sata.

So I kept readjusting it and turning the computer on to check.

One time as I adjusted the SATA on my hard drive the power went out in my room.

And using other power supplies and the original it seems my mobo isnt getting power and my original power supply is dead.

Yes I used a surge protector. No I didnt have a static protector while on my carpet. And yes my corsair 650w is still working

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

IMO a surge protector is next to useless. They do provide more plugs however for protecting equipment, not so much. If you want real protection, use a UPS.

Next I have built many many systems and never used a wrist strap however standing on carpet while doing a build is just asking for a problem. Depending on the humidity level of the air, you are really risking ESD.

Next every corsair pw supply I have ever seen uses the 4+4 aux pw connector. You simply split the connector to use it on an old motherboard with a 4pin aux pw plug rather than a modern system with an 8pin plug.

With all of the messing around [plugging/unplugging while standing on carpet] you almost certainly damaged one or more parts. I would do the following;
    1 First and foremost, list ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact pw supply, exact video card, etc, etc. Do not post 650W corsair; post the exact model# Do that for ALL of your parts
    2 Try and get the board to POST. Open the case and pull out any add-in cards; ie sound, nic/lan, etc. If you have onboard/onchip video, pull out your video card [we have no way of knowing since you did not post specs]
    3 Pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    4 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, etc. Leave your keyboard connected however be sure it is connected to a rear port and not a front case port
    5 Clear cmos. Replace the jumper to the normal position
    6 Now attempt to pw ON and see if the motherboard will complete POST. If it does, shutdown and connect devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST, then you will need to swap parts with known good units; ie motherboard, ram, cpu, pw supply

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice