Solved Dead motherboard?

Captainamir

Hey I was plugging in the charger for my laptop when I accidentally unplugged the outlet extender that my desktop is connected to. When I tried to boot it up again there is no image on screen and my mouse and keyboard don’t light up. The fans all spin including the PSU. My cpu cooler works and the graphics card too. My motherboard doesn’t have any lights so idk if that is the part that is dead. Could it be a dead motherboard or something else? I don’t have another desktop or PSU to test each part to see which is broken. What should I do?

crjdriver

What should I do?
First of all, post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#

Are you comfortable working inside of the case?

Captainamir

First of all, post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#

Are you comfortable working inside of the case?
Thanks for the reply.

Here are my specs:
Amd ryzen 5 5600x
NZXT kraken M22
TEAM GROUP ZEUS - 16GB - DDR4 - 3200MHZ
Gigabyte B550M S2H
ASUS GeForce RTX 3070 DUAL OC
kingston a2000 1tb
seagate barracuda 2tb HDD
fourze 750 w 80 plus psu
NZXT H series H511

I can work inside the case if it's needed.

crjdriver

Then do the following;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Open the case and pull the pw connectors from all drives
3 Remove ram and blow out the slots with a can of air. Reinstall ram and be sure it is fully seated
4 Reseat both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors on the motherboard; again be sure they are fully seated
5 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, hub, etc. Leave the keyboard connected
6 Clear cmos with the clear pins. Read your motherboard manual for the location and procedure. Most modern boards use just two pins that you short for at least 10 seconds however read the manual
7 Replace the pw cord and attempt to pw ON. If the motherboard POSTs, then shutdown and repeat a few times to be sure it works. Now start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST in the above config, you need to swap parts with known good units OR take your system to a shop and have them test it for you

Captainamir

Then do the following;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Open the case and pull the pw connectors from all drives
3 Remove ram and blow out the slots with a can of air. Reinstall ram and be sure it is fully seated
4 Reseat both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors on the motherboard; again be sure they are fully seated
5 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, hub, etc. Leave the keyboard connected
6 Clear cmos with the clear pins. Read your motherboard manual for the location and procedure. Most modern boards use just two pins that you short for at least 10 seconds however read the manual
7 Replace the pw cord and attempt to pw ON. If the motherboard POSTs, then shutdown and repeat a few times to be sure it works. Now start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST in the above config, you need to swap parts with known good units OR take your system to a shop and have them test it for you
I tried the steps and after resetting the cmos the computer worked perfectly. Thank you so much for your help you are an angel.

crjdriver

You are welcome. I wish all hardware problems were that easy to solve :giggle:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online