1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead Mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mom_of_2, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mom_of_2

mom_of_2 Thread Starter

Am hoping someone here can help!

Our mouse appears to have died. (Well, now it really is dead since in trying to clean it last night we broke it, so I already bought a new one to bring home).

Anyway, this is what happened. We have a Dell Dimension running Windows XP. We have loads of memory. We play some casual games (Peggle, for example). The other day when we were playing a game, we realized that there was no response to our clicking the left mouse button. Shortly after that, the mouse stopped responding entirely. We rebooted the computer and the mouse was ok, until we started playing the game again. I updated my DirectX version, my graphic card appeared to be up to date. Then the mouse stopped responding whether we were playing the game or working online - it just froze. The computer appears to be funcitoning otherwise, it's just that the mouse was totally frozen. We do not appear to have any viruses. I asked the game manufacturer if this was a problem with the game and they had never heard about it being a problem - also, I had checked another game and it was a problem there too.

Does this just sound like the end of life of my mouse? When I plug in the new mouse this evening, is there anything else I should check for? Do mice just stop responding like that?

Thanks very much!

2. BG-0

BG-0

Mice can do a variety of most peculiar things when they grow old.. My wireless optical mouse started to "twitch" periodically. It would "move" rapidly to top right, and scroll 17 clicks down.
    With the new mouse, the trouble should be past for you.

3. cycler

cycler

I've gone through several - the left click side just seems to quit after a lot of use. my last one needed me to click harder and harder until it quit completely. If everything else is ok, it probably was just your mouse. One thing you might want to check if you really want to keep that specific mouse - there is a way of switching the right and left side functions. If you did that, it might show you what isn't working - but it's confusing to remember that now you need to click the right side instead of the left.
    BTW - I just discovered Peggle this week. I'm really sorry that I did - I'm hooked!

4. nycmoonstar

nycmoonstar

My wireless mouse has acted strangely and everytime it happened, the reason was because the batteries were running out or the reciever of the mouse had fallen off my desk (too much distance between the reciever and mouse), etc. I'd probably check the basics first if you have wireless one lol!

5. mom_of_2

mom_of_2 Thread Starter

it's not wireless, but that's definitely a good thought!

I hope the new mouse works...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice