Dead PC...fried CPU?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hooverjo

My daughter's home-made PC died. It was warm in her room and dust clogged the box (including CPU heat sink fins). On attempted start up, the CPU fan turns and CD Rom light blinks, then nothing. No POST, no HD, no video. I tested PSU (fan turns when I short contacts), took out RAM and video card and reseated them (trying to restart before and after reseating).

It appears to be that the CPU is fried. Is there any testing alternative to ordering a new CPU and trying that? Will AMD replace the CPU under warranty if clogging dust fried her CPU?

Running XP Home.

In such a situation it could be either the CPU or the motherboard. To narrow it down to those two, bootup without RAM. If NO beeps, then it's one of the two. And though I'll tend to agree with you on the CPU because of the dust and heat, the only way to be certain is to swap out the CPU or M/B.

Try cleaning and reseating the CPU and heatsink. Check that all connections are good.

hooverjo

Tried booting up with no RAM and after reseating CPU. No go. Waiting for new CPU from newegg.com. Did not see any burn marks on CPU.

hooverjo

Installed new CPU, no go. Tested PSU with meter - looks good. Waiting for new mb. Luckily, I am building a new one for my son. :)

Have you tried to reset the BIOS, usually there is a jumper, near the battery, or remove the battery for 1/2 hour.

Hooverjo

Sounds like you called it, the MB is bye-bye. Keep the CPU, it may have went out West also.

hooverjo

So, I replaced the MB with a Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus (www.newegg.com - $39). Replaced everything. Turned it on...nothing. Looked at connections. Power on-off connector was misaligned. Re-aligned it. VOILA! It works!

So, I wonder what killed my Gigabyte board. It has dual bios, so I doubt it was a virus in the BIOS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online