Dead PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

drewru

Hello, This is my first time here. I hope someone can help me.
I have an e-machines computer running XP home SP2 with an upgraded pci radeon 256 graphics card, fire wire pci and a sony DVD R/W drive.
Original system: T2542 Speaker: SPEAKER, SP-20A MB: MB,IMPERIAL-GV (845GV) MBEM100614IM Chassis: Chassis, Nexgen 2 main chassis frame
CPU Fan Type: Fan,H/S Cel-P4 2.6 462PMouse: Mouse, silver wheel CPU:
CPU,CELERON 2.5G 478P 128K F400 FDD Model: FDD, SFD-321B/LTGNQ
FDEM2097BLCK Video: Video, integrated Power Supply: PS, 250 watt Modem: Modem,Conexant, fax/modem v.92 56K LAN: LAN, 10/100 integrated HDD: HDD, 40GB 5400rpm WD Keyboard Model: K/B:KB-9908,EN104K,PS/2,EMA,C-blk/slvr ODD1: 48X CDRW (48X24X48) Memory:
Mem, DDR-RAM 256MB (Max. 2GB)
Everything worked fine for the last year and a half or so since the upgrades.

Ok, So this is what happened. Four days ago my wife said we had a brown out or two so she turned off the computer at the switchboard. When she turned the computer back on later the computer started up like normal with the blank screen then the windows dots running left to right then the choose user screen. This is when it froze. The mouse did not turn on (MS wheel mouse Optical with red light) no light and no keyboard. Could not restart in safe mode or from boot disk because the PS/2 keyboard was dead. Would not load at start-up I guess. It would do this every time you tried to start it.
Press the button on the front and it would seem to shut down but the little green light around the button would stay on. Turn it back on same thing.

So I unplugged everything took it downstairs opened the side panel and blew out all the dust with a computer air duster. It looked "OK" inside and I did not at any time smell any hot or burning circuits. So I plugged it back in and the same thing happened. I looked inside and both fans were working but when you turned it off it did not seem to shutdown all the way, the light would stay on around the button in the front. Oh, I forgot to mention the hard-drive light would flicker a little when it was on.

What I did next may have been a mistake, I don't know?
I unplugged the computer and removed the motherboard battery for thirty minutes. Then I replaced it and turned it back on, it started back up but I did not have the monitor downstairs so I turned it off and it sounded like it really shut down this time. So I hit the button again and nothing. Dead PC.
The only thing else I can tell you are that the little green light around the push button on the front of the computer is still on and there is a tiny buzz from the power supply.

Any ideas,
Drewru

Sounds like the power supply went south. Do you, or anyone you know, have a spare you could try?? That would be my first move.

drewru

I don't know anyone that has one, I'm using my old mac computer 8600/300. That's it!
The fans were working before I took out and put back in the MB battery. Would that have anything to do with it? Thank you for the quick reply.
drewru

Drew make sure you put the battery in correctly, which I'm sure you did, but double-check anyway. Then we'll do the test to make sure it's the power supply. First of all, remove any cards connected to your computer, sound/usb/modem/network, but leave the video card in, then reseed your memory stick, that means, pull it out and put it back in firmly. Then we'll leave just power to your hard drive, motherboard, unplug all the other power connecters from the CD Roms, Floppy. Then try and start it up with just the Hard Drive, Motherboard, and Ram plugged in. Let me know what happens.

drewru said:
I don't know anyone that has one, I'm using my old mac computer 8600/300. That's it!
The fans were working before I took out and put back in the MB battery. Would that have anything to do with it? Thank you for the quick reply.
drewru
first make sure the battery is properly installed, didnt get loose, fall out, etc., if thats seems ok I would look into getting a new power supply

drewru

Hello laptopgirl,
The battery only goes in one way, so I don't think I could mess that up.
I did exactly what you said but the computer would not turn on, just the little light around the button on the front. Although I don't hear the buzz from the back anymore.
What next?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online