1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kyna, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kyna

Kyna Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I'm asking for help on behalf of my brother. We've both exhausted our troubleshooting knowledge on diagnosing the trouble with his PC. So, we've come to the best place on the web for knowledge.

PC stats:
    P4 3.0GHz
    Asus P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard
    2Gb RAM Corsair XMS3200 400MHz
    NVidia Geoforce 6800 GTOC video card
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Gamer with 5.1 surround speakers
    Power supply Thermaltake 500W TR2-500
    2 DVD-RW drives
    3.5" floppy
    Thermaltake Acer XACER 5 case
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Monitor Dell 20" Widescreen monitor
    APC UPS is also used.

The problem: He built the PC himself about a year and a half ago, and up until 2 weeks ago, it worked just fine. Two weeks ago, he hit the start button and there was nothing but silence. BIOS won't post, monitor shows no activity, the case fans run though. Hard disk drive sounds like it's turning, power light on the motherboard is on, CPU fan runs, all case fans run.

He purchased a brand new identical motherboard, as that seemed to be the problem. The same situation as above repeats itself: fans turn on, no post. He's taken every single part out and placed it, one at a time, in another PC, which continues to work just fine. Swapped parts list:
    Hard disk drive: working fine
    RAM sticks: working fine
    CPU: working fine
    Video card: working fine
    Sound card: working fine
    Power supply: working fine.
    Monitor: working fine.

New motherboard is bad out of the box? The case is suddenly shorting out the motherboard?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Kyna

2. cmw2010

cmw2010

Have you tried hooking it up directly to power outlet without the APC UPS?

3. Kyna

Kyna Thread Starter

Hadn't considered it, because the monitor, modem are plugged into the same UPS. When he started taking parts out of the dead PC to test, he plugged the tester PC into the same plug in the UPS. Good suggestion though :)

4. fizbanic

fizbanic

Is it possible that some part of the MOBO it touching the case in anyway that it would be shorting out? Had something similar when I first moved my contents from a box to a tower.

5. Kyna

Kyna Thread Starter

I verified with him that none of the mounts for the motherboard had been displaced when he swapped them out (I've done that before myself - one of those mistakes you remember distinctly at the next build). The PC hadn't been moved or disturbed otherwise. He was gaming with it one night, turned it off, and the next day it refused to boot.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

General Troubleshooting

POWER OFF THE POWER SUPPLY.
    Remove the motherboard from the case.
    Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface.
    Unplug EVERYTHING from the board except the main power connector, the auxiliary +12V CPU connector and the CPU fan connector connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard.
    Remove ALL add in PCI/AGP/PCI-e cards except the video card. Remove the video card IF the motherboard has onboard video.
    If you have SDRAM leave only 1 stick installed in the 1st DIMM slot closest to the processor.
    Connect the monitor to the video card OR the onboard video connector, whichever is applicable.
    DO NOT connect ANYTHING else.
    POWER ON THE POWER SUPPLY.
    Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard header.
    At this point the machine should POST. If the machine does not POST, remove the memory you have installed and try another stick of memory.
    If the machine still does not POST then there is a problem with the PSU, motherboard, memory or CPU. You can only test by replacing components such as memory or video card (if applicable).

Processor failures are rare. Generally speaking the failure sequence is; PSU, Motherboard, Memory, Processor.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice