1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dead pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anfieldmods, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anfieldmods

anfieldmods Thread Starter

hi all im having some trouble with my kids pc.A couple of days ago the pc took ages to turn on.When the power button was pressed the fan would spin for a split second then stop and so on until eventually it came on.I assumed it was the psu so i swapped it with another and it still never worked.The psu worked in the other pc.Now all im getting is the green led on the mobo and nothing else.ive tried it with a minimal set up ie video memory and still no go ive tried the screwdriver over the power pins and no and ive tried a new power lead.so is it poss mobo fried dont know how as its been fine with no crashes or surges I have tried my fan in another pc and its fine.
    intel board
    2gb ram
    2.8ghz
    and a green led lol.
    I f the hard drive is faulty the fan on the cpu would still all come on wouldnt it as mine is totally dead other than the green led.
    its doing my head in now what to replace any help would be cool thanx

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Disconnect everything that is disconnectable from the main board. Remove all add-in cards from the main board, except video. Disconnect all hard disks and optical drives. Disconnect all USB devices. See if it powers up. If not, you have eliminated all except memory, processor and main board. It has to be one of those three.

If the board has more than one memory chip, try them one at a time. If no go, you are now down to main board and processor.

Let us know your result.

3. anfieldmods

done that and no power up still

4. anfieldmods

[​IMG]
    would this point to a dodgy mobo notice the colour difference on the 2 parts

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Then you are down to the processor and the main board. The only thing left is to determine which it is. But, most users and many shops don't have a substitute processor.

I assume this is a P4 system and it may be time for an upgrade, anyway. You might want to look at a new computer or maybe at least a replacement board, processor and cooler. If this is a big-name system, you may have to figure in the cost of a new copy of Windows unless you get an exact replacement board.

As for the different colors, it might indicate what you suspect.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

7. anfieldmods

its just a kids pc but it was relatively fast for them i think its a new board needed really not worth soldering and bodging cheers

8. nancy0123

nancy0123

You must reconnect the complete system, might be you did some mistake in connectivity.

9. anfieldmods

not really applicable as the issue was before it was stripped down for a bench check

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice