1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead power supply and BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michmark, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michmark

michmark Thread Starter

My kids related a problem on the "kids computer", eMachine T2040 running XP. They related the computer CPU seemed to get very hot and got a funny, burning smell. Oh well, let's keep using it and see what happens. The power abruptly shut off and then they brought this to my attention. :mad:

I pulled out the power supply and found a fragged cooling fan and glue like substance oozing from one of the components. I bought a new powersupply and everything appeared to come back to life. Except the built in sound card and CD Rom now longer work. I rechecked the cord connections for data and power and they seem fine. The device manager shows yellow exclamation points next to sound card and CD rom drivers. Uninstalling them and re-installing them kills some time but has no resolution.

Question: could the high temp and sudden shutdown adversely affected and damaged the BIOS chip (where I presume the driver info is stored?)

Mark

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The driver info is stored on the hard drive though.
    You could check on the BIOS to make sure there is nothing disabling the devices, as the power supply failure could have caused problems.

You have to consider that the power supply failure could have actually damaged the devices or the motherboard though, as a prime cause.

3. michmark

michmark Thread Starter

What's the best way to interrogate the BIOS to see if it is functioning correctly?

Mark

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice