Solved Dead Power supply?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CFIannotti

No hate please,
HP Pavillion a1440n desktop
2.8 ghz Processor,4 gig memory
Windows XP Media edition (remember no hate) SP3
I went to turn on the computer, and nothing.
Tower plugged into a power strip.Off,when not in use,on before starting computer. I turn on the power strip, and get the green LED on the back by the power supply illuminating. I push the front start button, and nothing, and the LED goes out. No wind up or anything. Previous day, was normal start, do work, shutdown. Power strip off.
Has the PSU died? If so I am planning on a more powerful replacment, 480 watts. Original might be 250.
Thoughts?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Have you tried plugging that 2006-era HP Pavilion Media Center a1440n Desktop PC directly into a wall outlet instead of plugging it into a power strip?
If its power cord is too short to reach a wall outlet, connect an extension cord to it.
Personally, I don't believe there's an issue with its generic 300W power supply.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

CFIannotti

Thank you.Good news that worked.
I will do a shut down restart from the wall to confirm it.Just before trying the direct to wall I tried one more from the strip and it didn't start.
Odd.
I will mark this "solved".

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm glad to hear my suggestion worked. (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

CFIannotti

Thanks,flavallee,but,sadly it only worked once. But,long enough to download my passwords and such. I have bitten the bullet, and bought a W10 Laptop.Now the fun of migrating begins...

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Going from Windows XP to Windows 10 is probably going to be a big learning curve for you.
Good luck. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

CFIannotti

No,I can use this easily,but so many steps to get to a picture or document. And, the horror stories of forced updates.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 12
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 12109 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce MX250, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 475 GB (436 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP, 85E5
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

AND ONLY A 1.8 GIG PROCESSOR?? this will be the internet surfer, and getting the XP up,for Windows Movie maker.
BTW,according to the computer, Defender is ON, but sysinfo there says not. Facepalm..ah well, going to solved

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

That HP(unknown model name/model number) has an impressive-performing processor and graphics device for a laptop.
Don't focus only on the processor's base clock speed - 1.80 GHz.
As you can see, it has a turbo speed rating of 4.60 GHz.

You didn't say how much computer knowledge you have, nor did you say if you've used any other Windows versions, so I assumed you're a novice who's going from Windows XP to Windows 10.
Anyway, I'm glad to hear that migrating to Windows 10 won't be a big challenge for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

CFIannotti

Started using W95 at a job (QC). Primarily Excell and word.Bought a W98 machine, for home,when it was too weak for a few games I went up to the XP machine in 2006. A few years ago my brother gave me the Vista machine.Speed and ease of use was just better on the XP. W10 is okay,but cloud and Cortana are useless.I will load my Flight Sim in here, just to see how that"turbo" does.

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
You can easily disable both onedrive and cortana. If you have pro, it is done in group policy. If you have home, then a reg edit is necessary.
In fact disabling those two are about the first thing I do after a clean install.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online