1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead power supply??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kudzu, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kudzu

Kudzu Thread Starter

I just installed a CD-burner. Once I got everything put together I hit the power button and nothing happens! I assumed I had knocked something loose but I can find nothing. I installed this Mother Board so I know it pretty well. I can not figure out what has happened.

The only clue is that when I hit the power button I hear the familar pop of the speakers. The fan on the CPU twitches and that is it. Any clues as to what is going on? I am leaning toward a bad power supply but the fact that I just installed this CD-drive really makes me wonder if it is somehow related.

BTW I have tried unplugging everything to see if one of drives might be responsible. Double checked all conections and all the obvious things.

I am open to ideas!

Kudzu

2. Foamer

Foamer Guest

I would agree kudzu. Your computer shows the same symtoms as a computer I replace the power supply in about 4 months ago. Most likely a burnt out capasitor.

As long as it burned out because of age and not because of a hardware falure, I think your safe.

Good luck :)

3. Marias2

Marias2

The same thing happend to me but it turned out that one of the screws holding my motherboard down was touching the case, when I replaced it with a smaller screw and it turned on, but now it wont get past the POST.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice