1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead spots

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mfred1, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mfred1

mfred1 Thread Starter

I have a wireless network composed of a desktop (to which the router is wired) and 2 laptops. All 3 run windows xp pro. The network worked great until I remodeled my computer room and moved the desktop and router from one wall to another. Now I have dead spots all over the house. The router is a netgear b. I even tried buying a new one, mimo, which was advertised to eliminate dead spots. It didn't help the problem, so I returned it. I tried purchasing long cables for the router, and moved it to various places in the room; again, no help. Any suggestions as to why this would happen? Thanks for the assistance.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Phase of the moon? It could be anything.

The RX for router range issues is to first try to move the router to as central a location as possible, attach a hi-gain antenna, or use a secondary WAP to cover a wider area.

3. cypher2

cypher2 Account Closed

I have seen this happen before with a Cisco Wireless Access point - positioned only 2 metres away

Although other PC's / Laptop around it will pick it up fine

Not sure about the Science though - maybe just bad air ??

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Adding to JohnWill's post, actual dead spots are likely a function of a barrier in the path between router and computer. Barrier such as metal file cabinet, collection of CDs, TV, refrigerator, etc. And consider the angle through a wall. If the path is perpendicular to a 4 inch wall there is much less interference than if the path is at a much different angle.

5. O111111O

O111111O

Try purchasing a couple of higher gain YAGI antenna.
    The TX power of most AP's is only 100-200Mw, it's not that hard to insert anything metal to interfere with it.

My house is less than 4000sq ft, I have two AP's with omni and 30" beam antenna to cover the house/outside.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!