1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead SSD?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mooncatt, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mooncatt

Mooncatt Thread Starter

ok so it goes like this.
    system specs first

windows 7 pro 64bit
    ASUS M4A88TD-VEVO usb3.0 mobo
    AMD Phenom II 1055t x6 2.8Ghz
    8Gb DDR3 1600MhZ Corsair RAM
    Nvidia GTX470 (From Gainward, this is not the geforce one which need x2 6pin power inputs, this one has dual fans and needs x2 8 pin power inputs)
    OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD
    1Tb HDD 7200rpm

I upgraded my graphics card from a HD5830 to the above card. all seemed ok for a the first 4 days and then the PSU failed, this was partially my fault as the psu that was installed was only there as a temp measure so it was a cheap one, it was 750w and i forgot to replace it with a better one.

i went out and bought a better psu thinking that a "good" 750w psu should be adequate........i installed the psu but something odd was happening, the pc wasnt recognising the SSD at all and failed to boot. after much chin scratching and messing about i removed the SSD and managed to get into bios. the settings had reverted to default so i put them back to how they were. as soon as F10 was pressed the pc would try and reboot but that was as far as it got, i just had a black screen. and the message was failed to overclock, press f1 to change settings or f2 to load default. my bios has a core unlocker and a cpu level up function which overclocks the cpu automatically to 3.3ghz
    i started googling the problem and stumbled over a post that said to try and bump up the voltage slightly on the cpu/nb. i did this and it worked!

4 days later new psu blew! in hindsight i should have just bought a 1000w job, which i did, and all for now (touch wood) all is working ok, but without the ssd drive and my cpu running slightly over voltage.

so tried putting back in the ssd this morning but its just doing the same thing.

so my question is this, is my ssd dead totally? and why do i now have to run my cpu overvoltage?

i apologise if ive posted in the wrong place and any help is greatly received!
    many thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice