1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dead Toshiba Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by undisclosed, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. undisclosed

undisclosed Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have a toshiba satellite a200-244, and after about 15 months of use it use to switch off on its own now and then. I half heartedly searched for the problem but could not get through to the main problem which I later found out was the dust in the cooling system.
    Anyway, soon after it use to shut off on its own i use to turn it back on and surprisingly enough it did not use to get as hot as it sometimes did back in the day. Yesterday, same thing happened and it would not turn on back again. No lights, no fans no response at all apart from a clicking noise from the motherboard which i will explain later.
    I have done my homework, have checked the wall mount, power adaptor and pressed the power button while the battery was out and have tried powering it on the cable alone. No response.
    I did open the laptop aswell down to the motherboard (cleared the cooling system aswell), when i connect the power lead it makes a clicking sound which is quite rapid and hardly audible. (its not the harddisk or any other part as everything was disconnected)
    From what i have researched, i think the motherboard is fried, but i would like some input from you guys and also if that is the case what would be the best thing to do. I havent ever had a problem with my computer of this madnitude before and all the other problems before were fixed by myself.
    Any suggestions $$ estimates are appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Megabite

Megabite

First have the Powersupply checked to see if it is supplying the correct voltage......also does the power jack at the back where it plugs into seem loose at all...and nothing comes up on the screen and the fan does not spin up is that correct?

3. undisclosed

Hi Megabite,
    I have checked the powersupply , its rated at 19v and shows 19.57v when checked. The socket is not loose at all. And yes nothing fires up, no fans , no lights nothing at-all apart from the clicking sound.

4. Megabite

Megabite

The clicking sound you say is not from the Hard drive then it could be from the Fan....if the fan sensor unit might be faulty

5. undisclosed

Fan sensor is on the motherboard ? and if it is faulty would it restrict the motherboard to show any signs of life ?
    I had taken everything off the mother board which could possiblly be disconnected (lan card,ram,cooling fan,heat sink etc) and still the sound was from something on the board.

6. Megabite

Megabite

Doesn't sound good......I could be wrong tho

7. Irukku

Irukku

There's a little board (which sometimes is part of the mainboard) that's responsible for receiving power from the battery/external adapter and turn everything in your notebook on, I'll try to remember the name, but well... I've had an Acer notebook with that same problem and that little board was faulty, it had to be re-soldered.

Assuming you can't re-solder the board yourself, yes, the mainboard practically fried, but it's not an expensive repair if made by an expert. :)

8. undisclosed

I hope its not the mobo. btw whats the correct method of checking the power socket on the laptop with a voltmeter.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice