1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deadly Slow Computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zhumatthew, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zhumatthew

zhumatthew Thread Starter

I've got all sorts of funky problems with my computer. It's a Dell Latitude D600 Laptop and was working fine when I got it. After playing some games on my laptop, my computer would begin to overheat to really high temperatures like 150 degrees or above. Every time it did that, my computer would slow down and while playing games it would slow the game down to like 1 frame per half a minute. After about 10 minutes it would recover and go back to normal. I bought a fan for my computer and it seemed to solve the problem. Then my computer would at times go up to 180 degrees or so without a fan. Now with a fan the temperature is pretty high like 150 or so but my computer would still lag for 10 minutes or so at a time. I've use tune up utilities 2009 to defrag my computer and optimize performance but it doesn't solve the problem. Even when I have nothing running in the background my computer does this.

2. Morny

Morny

Hi zhumatthew and welcome to TGS

Your computer has it's own Windows defragmentation tool, which works pretty well. TSG never endorses optimizatin tools because they can mess up your computer and they don't work anyway and just take up space. Have you cleared out your temp files and performed a general PC housekeeping?

Not sure about the PC heating up to such an extent but hopefully someone will come to your aid. in the meantime you might want to contact the place where you bought your computer and ask their advice. If it is still under guarantee you may get it seen to for free.

3. zhumatthew

My computer's defragmenting tool told me I don't need to defrag either drive. I have cleared out my temp files but what is general PC housekeeping? What can make my computer run not as well as it used to?

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

WHY EVER would you keep using it if it's overheating????? :confused:

Seriously. You're going to damage it, if you haven't already.

5. dbailey18

dbailey18

Have you ever considered a lap matt ? With fan of course. How about checking the inlet and outlet vents for goodies.
    It is running way to hot !

Dell Latitude D600 Notebook Computer for Business specifications
    General.Recommended Use Small business .Platform Technology Intel Centrino .Built-in Devices Keypad , Wireless LAN antenna , Stereo speakers .Width 12.4 in .Depth 10.1 in .Height 1.2 in .Weight 4.6 lbs .Color Gray .Bundled with Port replicator .Notebook type Thin-and-light (4-6 lbs.) .Wireless capabilities IEEE 802.11b .Processor.Processor Intel Pentium M 745 1.8 GHz .Data Bus Speed 400.0 MHz .Chipset Type Intel 855PM .Cache Memory.Type L2 cache .Cache size 1.0 MB .RAM.Installed Size 512.0 MB / 2.0 GB (max) .Technology DDR SDRAM - 266.0 MHz .Memory specification compliance DDR266/PC2100 .RAM form factor SO DIMM 200-pin .Environmental Parameters.Environmental standards EPA Energy Star .Min Operating Temperature 32.0 °F .Max Operating Temperature 95.0 °F .Humidity Range Operating 10 - 90% .Max Altitude Operating 9840.0 ft .Storage Controller.Storage controller type IDE .Storage.Floppy Drive None .Hard Drive 80.0 GB .Storage Removable None - None .Hard drive type Portable .Optical Storage.Type CD-ROM - Plug-in module .CD / DVD read speed 24x .Optical Storage (2nd).2nd optical storage type None .Display.Display Type 14.1 in TFT active matrix .Max Resolution 1024 x 768 ( XGA ) .Widescreen Display No .Color Support 24-bit (16.7 million colors) .Video.Graphics Processor / Vendor AGP 4x - ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 .Video Memory 32.0 MB DDR SDRAM .Audio.Audio output type Sound card .Audio output compliant standards AC '97 .Audio Input Microphone .Input Device(s).Input device type Keyboard , Touchpad , Track stick .Telecom.Modem Fax / modem - PCI .Max transfer rate 56.0 Kbps .Protocols & Specifications ITU V.92 .Networking.Networking Network adapter .Networking / Wireless LAN Supported Yes .Data link protocol IEEE 802.11b , Fast Ethernet , Ethernet , Gigabit Ethernet .Networking standards IEEE 802.11b .Expansion / Connectivity.Expansion Bays 1.0 x Front accessible .Expansion Slots Total (Free) 1.0 ( 1.0 ) x Smart Card - Type I/II , 1.0 ( 0.0 ) x CardBus - SO DIMM 200-pin , 2.0 ( 1.0 ) x Memory .Interfaces 1.0 x Mouse - VGA - 280 pin docking ( On expansion base ) , 1.0 x Peripheral - IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP) - 4 pin USB Type A ( On expansion base ) , 1.0 x Docking / port replicator - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-11 ( On expansion base ) , 1.0 x Keyboard - Phone line - 25 pin D-Sub (DB-25) ( On expansion base ) , 1.0 x Display / video - Generic - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ( On expansion base ) , 1.0 x Hi-Speed USB - S-video output - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ( On expansion base ) , 2.0 x Display / video - Line-out/headphones - 7 pin mini-DIN , 1.0 x Audio - Generic - Mini-phone mono 3.5 mm , 1.0 x Infrared - SPDIF - 29 pin combined DVI , 1.0 x Microphone - Input - 9 pin D-Sub (DB-9) , 1.0 x Serial - DVI-Analog/Digital - IrDA , 1.0 x Modem - RS-232 - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style) , 1.0 x Parallel - 4 pin USB Type A , 1.0 x Audio - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style) , 1.0 x Network - RJ-45 , 2.0 x Hi-Speed USB , 1.0 x Display / video .Miscellaneous.Included Accessories Carrying case .Features Administrator password , Hard drive password , Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately) , System password .Compliant Standards FCC Class B certified .Power.Power device form factor External .Voltage Required AC 120/230 V .Power provided 65.0 Watt .Battery.Technology Lithium ion .Installed Qty 1.0 / 2.0 (max) .Battery capacity 48.0 Wh .Operating System / Software.OS Provided Microsoft Windows XP Professional .Software Drivers & Utilities .Manufacturer Warranty.Service & Support 3 years warranty .Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 3 years - On-site .Sustainability.ENERGY STAR Qualified Yes .Greenpeace policy rating (Dec 2009) 3.9 .

6. zhumatthew

Wow dayum. I guess I haven't been taking care of my laptop. Sometimes my laptop is in my bathroom when I shower because I listen to music, I bet that's out of the humidity range. And my computer gets way hotter than that temperature too.

7. Morny

Morny

I'm sorry zhumatthew, I would have thought that just reading the manual that came with your laptop, would have given you enough advice on how to look after your machine? I mean, you wouldn't take a desktop PC into the bathroom or kitchen, would you? One of the first things a computer manual tells you is how to look after your computer with lots of do's and don'ts. Why not turn on the radio or some other player if you wish to listen to music in a damp environment?

8. Bernardo

Bernardo

:rolleyes: Not sure if you are serious or being sarcastic....but, in any event, you choose to abuse, so, you'll pay to play.

9. Morny

Morny

Hi Bernardo,

Not sure what you mean about being sarcastic? Also, what's this pay to play - a threat of some sorts?
    Anyway, I was actually replying to zhumatthew when he explained he takes his computer into the bathroom where there is steam and water and then had problems with his PC.

10. Bernardo

Bernardo

I'm not sure a person would really do that, or if he is being sarcastic. I thought it was a fair question :confused:

Pay to play, meaning, if he messed up the laptop, now he'll have to PAY in order to have PLAYED music in a damp environment. I'm assuming he's going to have to take it to a repair shop.

Get it now?????????? THREAT? :rolleyes: Give me a break. You might try a little reading comprehension before you jump to silly conclusions.

Also, he lists his experience as INTERMEDIATE --- I certainly wouldn't expect anyone who is familiar with computers to actually do what he claims to have been doing. At least, that's my take on normalcy ;)

11. Morny

Morny

Hi Bernado and so sorry for jumping to conclusions! I'm quite harmless, really!!I I genuinely thought you were referring to little o'd me!! :-( LOL

Then when you said about, 'pay to play', I thought it was some sort of expression and I hadn't heard of it before!

Thing is, he sounded as though he was being serious and If it was a joke, there were no smilies to indicate otherwise. I wonder why zhumatthew hasn't come forward to defend himself?

12. Bernardo

Bernardo

(y) All is good. I've been around forums for a long time, and every once in awhile you get some one hit posters who never come back ;) Maybe his laptop finally blew up :D

13. Morny

Morny

Ha Ha Ha Ha Well sadi!!

Do you know I have so many funny images on my PC but haven't a clue how to add these to these forums. Never mind, eh?

14. Bernardo

Bernardo

I'm not too sure how to do that either, I know you have to upload attachment with the advance posting option, then edit etc.

Folks in random can help you out with that if you post over there. They've nothing better to do :D

15. Morny

Morny

Npt sure how to do this but will have a look later. Thanks ever so much for your witty reply, LOL -D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice