1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dealing with the flood of virus email

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by starchild, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

....this is day three, since I started getting around 500 emails day from that microsoft patch, critical update, returned mail, etc. email virus.

I have OE set to not let in attachments, but the emails still come in.

It still seems to be averaging around 1 email every 3 mins. I have now set OE to NOT check for new messages, so I can click on SEND/RECEIVE and download them all at once.

For awhile I was finding the sender's email and sending back a short note, like "your computer is sending a virus, just letting you know in case you weren't aware". I figured what good does it do to just delete them, if the people don't know it's happening?

I'm also getting around 20 every few hours in my Yahoo mail, but this fills it up overquota, and stops more from coming in, till I delete and empty it all and it starts over again.

I thought, by now it would have stopped, or the servers (mine is Earthlink) would have set up some kind of filter or something.

Is there any "best" way to deal with this?

Should I keep downloading the emails and deleting them, or let them back up?

Same with yahoo mail, though with that I think they automatically start deleting mail if it's over quota too long, and that would allow more to come in, and I might not get something I want (email)

I don't have the virus, and don't think I'll get it, with OE not letting in attachments and my AVG virus scan running, checking all mail.

Just not sure if continually downloading and deleting is the best approach at this point. It just makes room for more.

I've never experienced anything like this before. Though I've been getting the microsoft patch (1 or 2 every few days) for about 8 months now.

I think it's because of being subbed to a newsgroup, and I finally got smart (belatedly) and put a fake email address on, instead of my real one.

Does anyone know if something is being done (with the major servers, for example) about this?

I know, I'd rather be getting the spam email than have the virus, I'm not complaining about that.

Thanks...

~ Carrie

2. 1trueshadow

1trueshadow

All I can find are a few clips of a story in Msnbc about this virus. As for what ISPs are doing about it, god only knows.

As I watch my Inbox fill up I got to thinking..... The person that created this virus is in the same boat! If he programed the virus so that It would "skip" his own e-mail, then it would be just a little bit easier to track him down. Chances are he didnt blot out his own email address and is receiving 300+ Vira-Mails an hour like everyone else!

Hows that for some poetic justice!!

3. BillC

BillC

The unfortunate thing is that the virus is now "lose" and it will have to run it's course like a real human virus. Hmmmm, the news group sounds like the source. I've gotten about 6 over a few days, but you get that hourly it seems.

I can not give you encouragement about your ISP doing anything. Why not just let your mail box get full for a few days? Not what you wanted to hear, huh?

4. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Maybe he's copying down all the email addresses to sell to mass emailing lists...?

I've been getting the microsoft patch virus off and on for around 8 months now, ever since I subbed to a newgroup (usernet). I finally caught on that I could put a FAKE email address on my settings, and not my real one.

I think I got on the mailing list for this spam virus, because of that.

Some people aren't getting any at all.

For awhile I was getting the email address (where it came from) from the virus mail and sending back an email telling them their computer was sending out a virus, in case they didn't know.

For awhile I was putting on the link to "the Stinger" (on the McAfee site) which is a free download that finds and clears out this worm.

Didn't think much about it, even though doing this took a lot of time. But, what's the good of just deleting all the emails the senders might not know their computers were sending it?

I've actually gotten a few THANK YOUs back for this. One person said he used "The Stinger" (link I had put in) and it found and cleared out the virus.

I guess it was worth it.

Today I've been mainly letting them in (90 or so at a time) and deleting them.

Seems like it would stop at some point!

~ Carrie

5. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I could let the mail build up, but I'll probably have to deal with it eventually. So, it's like 90 every few hours now, or 2000 a few days from now.

Does OE have a limit where it stops accepting mail? And if so, what will happen if the mail that can no longer go into everyone's emails tries to "return to sender" (which is the non working microsoft email address used)?

Seems like, overall, if everyone lets the mail in and deletes it, it might work out better. All the mail coming in, would be trying to go back (with no place to go back TO) otherwise.

A lot of it is probably doing this, now.

I've been trying to think of what's best to do (or not do).

I thought of sending one email to a lot of addresses (CC) but then figured that would be more new addresses for the virus in each of the email programs to get to send to.

~ Carrie

6. jrstark

jrstark

Don't reply to the emails, most of the return addresses are forged anyway. All you are doing is adding to the traffic and wasting your time. For Sobig I was able to block sender on the stupid corporations that were telling me I was sending them viruses (it clearly wasn't me from looking at the headers).

There doesn't seem to be any consistent phrase I can safely block for this newest one though, and the messages are mutating daily.

I am now getting a few emails from some company called Dr.Web in Russia that is telling me it is stopping viruses from coming to me. Only on my ISP addy so far, and I really don't think comcast installed this one. They aren't infected that I can tell.

I'm just downloading and deleting, haven't found a better way of dealing with it yet.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice